is letting a 9 year old tell you to shut up acceptibale

my girlfriends daughter told her to shut -up my girl friend didnt respond to this her daughter is nine years old and her daughter has no respect what so ever she asked me for advice but i didnt know what to tell her because my daughter is only two years old and THANK GOD i dont have to deal with that yet but anyways i would like to no how you would respond to this behavior and what would be the punishment

mom2b23869

Asked by mom2b23869 at 8:36 AM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Well it isnt acceptable but kids learn from their environment. That means someone is telling her to SHUT UP. If people stopped acting in ways they didnt want their children to act then society wouldnt have half the problems they do have. I would ask your friend if she or anyone around the child says shut up or any of the phrases the dd uses. If they do tell them to stop and tell the dd to stop because she isnt old enough to have that attitude. She will have to have consistent punishments and make sure she sets a good example by not saying shut up or anything disrespectful herself.

Answer by gemgem at 8:38 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• HA HA HA NO! i would slap a 9 year old for telling me that... Well not slap but i would take away something that meant a lot to her.. ipod something like that.. Ugh that makes me mad. i would had never gotten away with that as a childe!
    BallardMomma

Answer by BallardMomma at 8:38 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• No that is NOT acceptable. Not in the least. I personally would have washed her mouth out with soap or gave a time out or grounded her for that matter. I rue the day my daughter feels she can tell me to shut up.
    ChaoticSoul

Answer by ChaoticSoul at 8:39 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• ha ha ha that is not even close to being acceptable and yes if one of my children told me to shut up i would slap them.
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 8:40 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• It's not okay for anyone to say shut up. Age is not the issue, simple respect it.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 8:41 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Absolutly not. As kids my brother and I weren't even allowed to tell each other to shut up. It's disrespectful. I saw a lady and my DD's girlscouts talking to her daughter the other day telling each other to shut up, calling her daughter a retard, her daughter telling her she was stupid. It was aweful. If my kids ever talk to me that way they will be spending the reat of the day sitting in the corner.
    Sammieanne

Answer by Sammieanne at 8:45 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Certainly not. Children who are allowed to speak like that will run into problems with their teachers and, if they don't learn better, with employers and co-workers. She needs to learn respect for those in authority over her, or if not respect, then the appearance of respect. Self control, respect and consideration for others,- good skills to have.

Answer by Bmat at 8:48 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• i know there were only a few times my mom slapped me in my mouth growing up.. and telling her to shut up and not giving her any respect and copping an attitude was a reason... i learned quick not to tell her to shut up anymore.. it absolutely broke my heart. so yes i would slap her and she would get the hint. Also i would ground her. But i would make sure that i would talk to her about it afterwards when everything cooled down..
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 8:56 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• NO! No WAY!! This just reinforces that its ok to walk all over their parents. She needs to be slapped, or punished somehow. Your friend is only asking for big trouble later by letting her act this way now!
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 9:37 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• My kid would be popped in the mouth for saying that to me. I don't even say that to my kids.
    richgirljj

Answer by richgirljj at 10:39 AM on Jan. 2, 2009