I have an 8 yr old boy who wets his pants daily. What could it be?

My son has been potty trained since he was 2 yr and NEVER wet the bed since then but I noticed just this pass couple of months he smells of urine. Come to find out he is wetting his underwear daily and it doesn't matter if he's at home or school. I have tried talking to him and he just gets upset and won't help me understand. I have asked if he does it before he gets to the bathroom, or if he doesn't fully empty himself out and does it after he goes. I just can't get an answer from him, and I truely do talk to him without yelling.
I'm just concerend about kids picking on him at school for smelling of urine. At home I have to tell him to change his clothing because he smells, every time, He won't change even though he knows he's wet. Please help with any suggustions. I'm thinking I will take him to the doctors and see if he would talk to his male doctor about what may be going on.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:54 AM on Jan. 2, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would recommend seeing his doctor about this. He could have developed a problem with incontinence or overactive bladder which may have a more serious underlying medical cause. In cases of urge incontinence (not being able to make it to the bathroom in time), your son's doctor will have a sample of his urine tested for infections, diabetes, and other possible causes.

I'm sure your son is just embarrassed (especially if it happens at school amongst his peers), and because he's young, doesn't know how to explain what he's feeling or what is going on when it happens.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:08 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Yes, indeed, take him to the doctor. One of my neighbors had a child who had a problem with, I think it was a valve, in the urinary tract. Do they have pullups for older kids? I know they do for young children and for adults. He needs some padding to help him with the accidents poor kid, and a kind that doesn't show would be the best idea. Assure him that he is doing nothing wrong and that the problem will be dealt with.

Answer by Bmat at 9:02 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• My son had this problem and went on Ditropan for a short time. After a course of this med, he stopped daytime wetting entirely. The doctor did an ultrasound of his bladder and kidneys and found a problem. The problem could have been caused by an untreated UTI. Also, my son never seemed to realize or care that he was wet unless he was soaked.
    yakara77

Answer by yakara77 at 8:22 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Has something in his life drastically changed? Perhaps a move or someone close passing? Sometimes kids that age act out that way when something has happened they don't fully understand.
    I would recomend seeing a Dr though. My son wet the bed for years on end and I assumed it was his nerves or something in that nature but I took him to see a Dr and was told he is not using the bathroom properly. He is going but stops him self before he is done.
    MrsTGray

Answer by MrsTGray at 10:10 PM on Jan. 2, 2009