thats it, im' doing a xmas account for next year......

ok this was a hard year and xmas proved it i wanted to cry. so im doing an x mas account and figure putting 20.00 in starting in 2 weeks. and put 20 in every wed. till black fri by then i should have 900.00 for x mas shoping. i cant deal with what we just went threw it was so hard but bills and rent and car payment come first. so this year im planning ahead. there are 4 kids to shop for, and the older they get the more money something is. my youngest is easy lol. do any of you ladies do this?

tabbys4

Asked by tabbys4 at 8:58 AM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Shopping

• My husband and I decided to start that this year as well. I think our bank has some sort of Christmas savings thing. It just seemed like we spent a lot more this year and I know it's just going to get worse.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:15 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• We only have 2 boys, so we don't put a specific amount of money away for Christmas but we ask family members who will be buying them gifts to just give gift cards for specific stores or Toys R Us, so we can "pool" the money together usually to buy a more expensive present or a gift for BOTH of them to use--like a Wii.

But your idea is just as well thought out! If one or two of your children are school aged, have you thought about getting them a "piggy bank?" My 1st grader got one for Christmas and we're teaching him that when he fills it up (via chores/spare change/tooth fairy!) we will take him to the Lego Shop (his favorite) and he can pick something out. It's never to late to teach them the value of a dollar--especially in these tough economic times!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:24 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• yeah my oldest is pritty good at putting money away for something for her. or she will offer to buy me a coffee lol. xo but my other 2 are stepdaughter who i love to death but bm dosent teach them values and i try. my youngest is 3. but this year was hard for us and i heard of the x mas fund and thought thats what im gonna do. start now and be less stress later.
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 9:45 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I think that's a fantastic idea. I started my christmas shopping in August this year but ended up forgetting all that I had bought and for who and ended up having last minute shopping to do with little money. I think I might talk your idea over with husband! Thanks for the idea.
    frapanda

Answer by frapanda at 10:28 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I had a Christmas Club account, & either they've changed them or my bank sucks lol!! Years past they gained fantastic interest (which was all docked if withdrew early) but this year I gained no interest :-( We're still doing one for next year though, because it really does help!
    mamma84

Answer by mamma84 at 11:13 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• my husband and i are going to start one to because every year we say i dont feel we got the kids enough and we never have money to buy one present for each other so next year we want to be prepared better

sweetpamom29

Answer by sweetpamom29 at 12:00 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• my credit union does it and so do we it was a good thing this year as well as hubbies bonus
    HisServant4ever

Answer by HisServant4ever at 3:35 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• or... if you get a big tax return every year you could just save that... i paid for x mas with that this year. i plan on doing the same. it really wasnt enough but close!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 5:30 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I have had a christmas club for years, but this year I am having $10 a week automatically deposited from DH check.
    darcibeisheim

Answer by darcibeisheim at 10:54 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• i figured it out and if i put 20.00 in an account stating jan 23 and do that till black fri in nov that will give me 900.00 and thats good considering im shopping for 4 kids ages 11 10 9 and 3. not to mention dh and family.
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 9:02 AM on Jan. 4, 2009