What is your cervix supposed to "feel" like?

Ok so I am like 30-34 weeks along. And my midwife told me to be self checking from this point on. Yes Clean hands dont worry. However this morning my cervix feels, well different. It is more like sticking down and really soft and I have about a finger width of space in the "doughnut" part of it. Is this normal. Has anyone else ever selfed checked. Do I call my midwife to go to the hospital or what? Just asking. Thanks and have a great day!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:01 AM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Yes, dialation is a good thing...alot of women are dialated to one around the same time as you.when you start to dialate the cervix starts to soften and open..what your describing is just that! no need to worry you still have a LONG way to go!
    ChaoticSoul

Answer by ChaoticSoul at 9:20 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I self checked and no dont rush to the hospital or call your midwife. You are starting to dialate. A finger-width of space means your 1cm dialated!
    ChaoticSoul

Answer by ChaoticSoul at 9:03 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Is that a good thing? LOL Is that what the cervix is actually supposed to feel like? I guess I should have been checking before had so I had something to compare it to LOL LOL. I feel like such and idiot asking that question. It feels like it is almost to my well you know front and it is really easy to reach it. I cannot find anything online that even remotely tells me LOL. Sorry and thank you!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:12 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Wow Ive never even heard of self checking! but I sure am gonna google it now! And you'd better believe I'll be checkin real soon! I'm 38 weeks now.
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 9:36 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I was dialated 3 when I was 35 weeks and stayed there until I went into labor. She's right, you still have a long way to go. Just keep up the checking.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:05 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Why are you checking~ are you in preterm labor?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:16 PM on Jan. 2, 2009