Single moms - How do you afford to live alone?

I currently live with my best friend, but things have been stressful lately. I'm dating, and my roommate isn't exactly happy for me (long story). It's causing a lot of fights between us and it's making the living situation less than ideal.

I won't get too into that now, though - the point is, I would like to live alone. I'm almost 23 and I'm working "full-time" at Toys R Us. I don't get paid a whole lot - I stay there because I love my job. I have my son part-time - every other weekend, plus I go there (he lives in a different town) once or twice during the week, every week. I make about $900 a month... which sounds pathetic when I add it together, but that's the truth!

So, how do you other single moms afford to live alone, and pay bills and everything on just one income?
I should add that I live in Canada - there is help available, but they haven't helped me in the past.

AdensMama0308

Asked by AdensMama0308 at 10:00 AM on Sep. 22, 2011 in Money & Work

• it sounds to me u need a second job!!!! if ur only getting 900 a month thats not enough for anything!!! then get a small 2 bedroom apt or home its hard but my mom did it with 4 kids and she had us full time because my dad was in prison!! you barely get the kid so ur mainly taking care of yourself so u should have time for a second job
    candicenicole91

Answer by candicenicole91 at 10:11 AM on Sep. 22, 2011

• It seems like the only way to afford to live by yourself is to find some way to go to school. This job,as much as u like it,is not enough money for u!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 11:02 AM on Sep. 22, 2011

• I was a single mom with 4 kids and living on my own without a college education. It was hard. I worked as a waitress and made around $18 an hour when I worked. I worked double shifts, had to get food stamps to help feed the kids, and basically just worked my ass off to make ends meet.

Answer by gemgem at 10:36 AM on Sep. 22, 2011

• I know a way you can supplement your income and do it from home! You could keep your regular job and work from home and stay with your kids. :) If you are interested, message me for more info.
    ProudMommie87

Answer by ProudMommie87 at 11:26 AM on Sep. 22, 2011

• You will be giving up time with him in the short term to make life better for both of you in the long term. No court is going to look down on you for going to school and working to make a better life!

Answer by missanc at 11:39 AM on Sep. 22, 2011

• I don't work somewhere because "i love it there" I work somewhere that supports my child and I.
    Interesting concept.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Sep. 22, 2011

• Depends on where your one income is coming from , hun. Maybe you should look into something that will make you some real money so you can be out on your own. Message me, I'll tell you how ! GL!
    6GsMommy

Answer by 6GsMommy at 10:08 AM on Sep. 22, 2011

• I would work towards getting a degree in a job where you could make more money. I lived alone with my 3 kids, but I made more than that and I had my kids all the time so their dad was supposed to be paying child support (and he did at times). Look into short term educational programs at your local community college. You can go to school part time and work full time.
    I started out waiting tables, but very shortly moved up into management and then was making a fairly good income that allowed me to afford a decent lifestyle for myself and my kids.

Answer by missanc at 10:14 AM on Sep. 22, 2011

• I agree with the other ladies that you need a second stream of income. I'd love to show you how you can do it from home around your life.
    kpav

Answer by kpav at 10:15 AM on Sep. 22, 2011

• I know toys'r'us does not pay well. We have them in Illinois too. Can u go to school to learn a trade?
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 10:19 AM on Sep. 22, 2011