How do you overcome bet wetting?

I cannot get my three-year-old to stop wetting the bed. I have stopped him from drinking after seven, but he steals water when he thinks I am not paying attention. I wake him up through the night, and I even go to bed after everyone is gone to sleep to keep him from drinking water and still he won't stop wetting the bed.

rozepetalz

Asked by rozepetalz at 6:33 PM on Jul. 15, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• For my son I started a 'pee chart' I told him every night that he dose not pee in the bed he will get a sticker to put on the chart and after he gets 20 stickers he gets a toy. Well it worked for him in matter a fact once I started this chart he did not have anymore accidents and today he got his first toy from getting 20 stickers. Maybe this could work for your little one.
    KiriandWyatt

Answer by KiriandWyatt at 8:53 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• My 3 year old pees the bed. Some nights are dry and some are wet. I put a pull up on her. Once her bladder is ready she will not have accidents. She isn't ready yet. She sleeps soundly. I understand that at about 4 or 5 years old they stay dry at night all the time. Hang in there this to shall happen.
    Boost

Answer by Boost at 11:29 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• There are three reasons kids wet the bed...
    1 - The bladder isn't big enough to make it all the way to morning. This goes away with age but the child can also learn to get up in the night to go.
    2 - the body doesn't slow down urine production in the night like it's supposed to. This usually goes away with age. Medication MAY help or the child may learn to get up in the night to go.
    3 - the child sleeps so soundly they don't even know they've gone. This sometimes goes away with age but retraining can work too.
    Your little one could have one, two, or all three. Try to remember that this is very common and don't blame your child. Keep two sets of sheets on the bed (including the plastic sheet) so you can strip off a wet layer easily in the night. If he sleeps even with a wet bed, he has the third problem. When he's a year or so older, try a "wee alarm" to help retrain his sleeping brain.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:48 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• My daughter is almost 4 and I still have to get up in the night and take her to the bathroom and even then she is sometimes wet in the morning. I have bought what we call "pee pads" from Walmart - they are cloth covered but waterproof so when she does pee the bed I just have to change that not the whole bed so she hardly wakes up while I'm doing it (also you can wash 5 or 6 of these in one load, less laundry)
    CatherineA

Answer by CatherineA at 12:09 PM on Jul. 22, 2008