Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do I have any rights?

So, our family just found out that my brothers maybe baby is in fact his. The mother has moved back to CO with him and from what I hear they are only in the next town over from where I live. I would be totally willing to drive there since I dont think she has a car. She is playing all sorts of games with all of us. First he was with her now she is saying he is still in CA with her mom. Now that I know this baby is my brothers I want to be involved, but I think just being the "aunt" I have no rights to see him. My brother is in the Marines so he is not here and will not be home for vacation until he KNOWS his son is here. He has never met him. Do I have rights?


Asked by LovinEveryDay at 9:42 AM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Relationships

Level 1 (3 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (10)
  • unfortunately no. try talking to her and telling her that you want to be involved as an aunt and all that stuff and see if she wants to cooperate...if not then you can only wait until your brother gets home.

    Answer by ChaoticSoul at 9:44 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

  •  Legally, no you don't, but I would call her and be VERY nice and see if something can be worked out. If you don't like the woman...PRETEND you do. A little honey can go a long way.I did this exact thing and I have had a great relationship with my niece for the past 22 years. Good Luck


    Answer by jblueeyes228 at 10:01 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

  • you have no rights, and tell your brother to ask for a paternity test. Him being a Marine she may just say the baby's his to get money. as a Marine myself i've witnessed many shady women. Tell him to consult with his base legal.

    Answer by smnice at 10:02 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

  • Paternity test is already done, that is how we know its his.
    She will not give us her number.
    I have been super sweet to her. I sent her an email asking nicely when I could see HER and the baby and asked her if she needed anything for him. This is when she told me he is not in the state. I have been sweet to her for one reason and one reason brothers baby.

    Answer by LovinEveryDay at 10:05 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

  • Is he on the birth certificate?

    Answer by smnice at 10:07 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

  • I think this all has to be done by the daddy. Don't know if your brother can start anything considering he's not in a position to take custody for example. Why do you think the mom might have the baby live away from herself? Maybe a smokescreen to keep the dad's family from involvm.Keep up emails offering to see baby with her not without to sweeten her up.To see baby with mom or mom's family repre. is better than not seeing baby at all, right?

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

  • No you have no rights. In fact in my state even grandparents have NO rights. All you can do is find your brother and hope he can see him and let you as well.

    Answer by the1youluv2hate at 10:19 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

  • No, you don't have rights to the baby. However it's very fishy that she won't say where the baby is. If your brother is his father he has a right to know where the baby is.

    Answer by PeytonNBella at 10:51 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

  • When he comes back he just needs to petition the courts for visitation and child support. Once that is done you can see his child when he is with your brother.

    Answer by Christine0813 at 11:00 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

  • As soon as your brother gets back from being deployed make sure he petitions for visitation. Then help him and go with him. Congrats anyway on being an aunt.

    Answer by jareda69 at 11:36 AM on Jan. 2, 2009