Who is more to blame for an overweight child? Parents? the child? video games?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:48 AM on Jan. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• The parents!! DUH!! Kids can only do what the parents allow them to do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:49 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• It depends on how old the child is, but I think it's up to the parents to teach good eating habits and provide well balanced meals.
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 9:49 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I was just watching half-ton teen last night on TLC and wanted to cry. Poor kids!!

It's really a combination of many things, but I think it's ultimately the parents' job to do what's BEST for the kids...not what they want. Of the specials I've seen on TV, the parents' are always the enablers. They're buying the food and allowing them to eat as much of it as they want while lying around in bed. There's little to no physical activity.

I believe that some people have genetic issues with weight--but I think it's rare. I think for most eating has become an obsession.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:54 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Parents. They provide the food, environment, and the video games. They can make the choice to buy healthy foods, sign their kids up for sports, turn the TV off and take the kids for a walk.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:54 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Wouldn't it depend on the child? My kids are stocky. They get that way at about 6. Why? It's genetics. They get no soda(they drink water only %90 of the time), they eats whole grains, they get little refined sugar, no HFCS, no fast food unless it's an emergency(maybe once or twice a month) their portions are controlled, video games and TV are limited and they get more excercise then most kids do. There is no reason for them to be heavy. My 5 year old hardly even eats meat yet he's starting to get stocky too, his favorite foods are raw veggies. I myself am heavy and I eat less than anyone I know but my mom is fat and my dad is fat. I'm no where NEAR their sizes but I'm still a bigger girl.

Now I have seen kids who eat crap all day long and play video games all day. IN that case it's the parents for not setting bounderies and helping their children with their weight.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 10:01 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Parents. Mancosmomma is right, the provide these things to their children, its their responsibility to help them grow into healthy people.
    Its kinda like that argument about celebrities not being good "role models" for fans. Its not their job to raise other peoples kids, its the parents.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 10:26 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Parents. -- assuming there aren't issues related to genetics and disorders. Parents control what the child eats. Parents are in control of when and how the child plays. Yes you can't force a child to exercise, but you can encourage them to play outside. Go outside with your child and ride bikes or play tag or catch. Keep them active. It's not the video games fault. Kids can play video games and still paly outside and still learn and eat healthy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• The child is taught eating habits from their parents. The parents teach the child either to sit in front of the tv or go out and play.
    Playing the blame game though, doesn't solve anything. children need to exercise their bodies, the need to learn to eat correctly to fuel their bodies not eat to fill an emotional void or because they are bored. childhood obesity leads to adult obesity which leads to all kinds of health problems from wearing out the joints, to heart problems and diabetes.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 10:43 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I would say parents. We are responsible for teaching our children. That ranges from the ABC's, to proper food choices and how to handle their emotions and so on....
    My son is 4 and tells my husband that the snacks that he gives them that they are not healthy choices. My kids enjoy junk food but within limits and I've let my son set his limits because I feel he is able to. He plays video games and there are time restirictions on them. As his mother I've set those limits to teach him that he can do other things, like play outside or read and so on....
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 10:47 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I think sometimes it's genetics and sometimes it the parents fault.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 10:50 AM on Jan. 2, 2009