Has any one ever received steriods during pregnancy? My Dr said he wanted to start me on them to help develop the babys lungs.

I am only 28 weeks prego and have a weak cervix and he has noticed problems with the umbilical cord. He wants me to deliver a soon as possible.

Terry01

Asked by Terry01 at 9:51 AM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I would do what needs to keep the baby safe. Sorry you are going through this.. Its tuff! Hope all works out ok! Good Luck!
    BallardMomma

Answer by BallardMomma at 9:53 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Steroid use in hopes of develping the lungs of a preterm baby is common. It is the only way Dr's have of increasing odds of survival in extremely immature babies. I hope things go well for you.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:55 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• My son was a heart baby (he had a heart defect) and because they were worried about his lungs not developing enough before birth, I was given steroids to help him along. If you're worried about taking them, you can discuss the risks with your doctor. My son had really strong lungs when he was born, which helped greatly with his heart. My cousin was a premie and her lungs were much better because of the steroids as well. It does increase the odds for premies and reduces hospital stay times as well.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I had them at 34 weeks but she was also measuring small for gestational age. I had my daughter exactly 5 yrs ago today after a 3 day induction and she was born after her edd.
    miriamz

Answer by miriamz at 10:38 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I got them when I was kept overnight in the hospital for pre-term labor.
    miriamz

• If your baby is born too early and you have taken the steroids, there's a lot greater chance your baby will survive and be healthy. It's pretty common to be given steroids if your doctor feels your baby is at risk of being born before the lungs are fully developed. I had a steroid shot around 28 weeks with my twins, but they did not end up coming too early. I'm sorry you are going through this, but luckily it sounds like your doctor is one step ahead in making sure your baby has the best possible start in life. I wish you and your baby the very best.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 10:46 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• i heard of this happening to other women. its common, and if my Dr. suggested it, i would go for it. ITs the best in my opinion
    Bebe510

Answer by Bebe510 at 11:24 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Look up the side effects on your own. Most doctors aren't offended if you research on your own. Look up everything about your condition so you can make an informed decision.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 11:34 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I went into preterm labor at 21 weeks at went to the ER. After finding out there was no amniotic fluid I was told I would be given steroids at 24 weeks to help the babys lungs develop. As you may already know the amniotic fluid is what helps the baby lungs develop. Long story short I didnt make it to 24 weeks I gave birth at 22 weeks to a beautiful little girl who unfortunatley didnt make it.
    Anonymous