Do you REALLY love your dog?

I know alot of people who have dogs say they love them,but I am emotionaly connected to my dogs,I mean like I am to my child. When I had to put one down after having her for 16yrs I went into a depression. Other people said to me that it's just a dog. Now I have a shepard for 7yrs. and I love him just as much. Am I alone?Don't get me wrong I love my DD more than my own life.

jblueeyes228

Asked by jblueeyes228 at 9:54 AM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Pets

• Well we have 2 dogs. One a beagle and a maltese mix shi tzu. We just gave my beagle to my BIl. because we don't have a yard and she was biting people. So they agreed to take her they love her and she loved them. So it saved her from going to the pound.
    Ann7227

Answer by Ann7227 at 9:59 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I don't connect with our animals that way. I care about them..but they are still animals. My husband connects as you do. He lost his black lab after many. many years and I'm not sure he will ever get past it. He was quite depressed for several weeks. Even now he will tear up when he sees pics of him or someone says his name. He had to be put down 7 yrs ago..and I think it feels fresh for my DH still.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Humans, and dogs, are pack animals, our animal companions are part of our pack. That's why it is important to let the dog know that you are the pack leader. We bond with them, and when they die we grieve for them, since they are a member of our pack family. When we have to put them down it is a terrible thing and it takes a long time to get over it. I am sorry about your little friend. Let yourself grieve as long as it takes. She wasn't just a dog, she was a being that you had a bond with. One of my cats died a couple months ago and I am still not over it. He was the cat in my avatar picture. It is perfectly normal to be emotionally connected.

Answer by Bmat at 10:01 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I am an animal LOVER!! I had a dachshund that got killed. I had him for 6yrs. I loved him as though he was one of my kids. It hurt soo bad when he got killed that I couldn't go to work.. People made fun of me and said "he was just a dog".. Just like YOU, he wasn't just a dog to ME! That was 5yrs ago. It still hurts today.. I have a dog, and a couple of cats outside.. I have shut myself down where I don't allow myself NOT to love them as much.. It hurts to much when I lose them.. But YES to answer your question I do love them, just not as much..
    honeys_sugamama

Answer by honeys_sugamama at 10:47 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• i am totally the same way. i cried for weeks when i was 21 and had to put down my first dog, penny. now i have three weimaraners and i already wonder how long they will live and how much it will hurt us all when they pass.
    hsprinkel

Answer by hsprinkel at 10:55 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• my dog is a part of my family, i cant imagine what i would do with out her. she is my best friend i truely love her.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 3:32 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I love my dog not as much as I love my kids, but close. And she irritates the hell out of me just like my kids do.
    peppermintmocha

Answer by peppermintmocha at 4:40 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I love my dog more than anything. I think about her all the time and even miss her when I'm at work! I left her with family when I went on vacation for 1 week over Christmas and I thought about her all the time! She's the first dog I"ve ever owned myself, so maybe that's why. I can easily say I like her more than Iike a lot of people...
    Anonymous

• There is NO SUCH THING as,"Just a dog". The person who mouths these untrue words has never been a true dog owner, or loved a dog like a family member. I challenge you to look into the eyes of a dog and tell me there is no soul behind those trusting eyes! My dogs are members of our family!! They are given a "puppy treat" on every shopping day, they live in the house with us, and are cherished by all of us, kids and adults alike! A dog will lay down his life to save yours--this is the very definition of the greatest love there is that was given to us by Jesus Christ himself, in the Bible. Dogs give us perfect examples of unconditional love. They love you no matter what you look like, how you smell, if you are covered in sweat, wearing rags, or having a bad day. I know that my life would never have been as happy had I not had my dogs in it. Yes, I truly love my dogs!!
    Aprilmorgans

Answer by Aprilmorgans at 1:09 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• yes, like you, i am emotionally attached to my dog..i would do anything for her..like i would my child..i defend her like my child
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 1:35 AM on Jan. 3, 2009