How do I make a will?

Hey. I live in Ontario Canada and just recently got married. I was wondering if anyone knew how to make a will without going to see a lawyer? I know there's kits you can get, but I can't seem to find them anywhere. I know it's kinda morbid, but it's good to be prepared! We're trying to conceive and I want to know my kids will be taken care of by the people I choose!

lamr

Asked by lamr at 9:58 AM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I'd recommend a lawyer, that way you'll know it is perfectly legal, and the lawyer may know of other things, such as living wills and so forth that should also be taken care of. The lawyer will see that the papers are notarized and will file them with the govenment office for you. Lawyers don't usually charge a lot for doing wills.

Answer by Bmat at 10:06 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I agree w/ the Bmat!! Get a lawyer!! I am in the process right now over my mothers will cuz she thought she could just get a kit.. She had one made by a lawyer and by a kit.. The one by the kit isn't worth the paper its written on.. IF you are doing it for your kids, do it right and get a lawyer..
    honeys_sugamama

Answer by honeys_sugamama at 10:11 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Try this site...

http://estate.findlaw.com/estate-planning/estate-planning-forms/wills-sample.html

But I agree that you REALLY should see a lawyer, so that they can make sure you "dot your i's and cross your t's."  Also to be sure that your will stands up in probate court should anyone contest your will.  Unfortunately, it happens! 

Our lawyer drew up our wills in COMPLETE details right up to who would NOT be permitted to take care of our minor children, should we both die!  For $250, she drew up our wills, living wills, and guardianships, and keeps a vault copy should she be needed to represent us (and our wishes) in probate court.

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:15 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I don't know about will's but I was excited to see someone else from ontario!
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 3:33 PM on Jan. 2, 2009