Can your six year old write sentences?

My six year old can hardly write sentences and I was told, she should be writing sentences at this point. Do you think that is too young and how are your kids at writing?

albionel

Asked by albionel at 2:23 PM on Sep. 22, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• At 6, my daughters could write short, simple sentences. They might have misspellings or be not-quite-grammatically-correct, but they were basic sentences.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 2:25 PM on Sep. 22, 2011

• My DS is 7 and in 2nd grade but has fine motor delays. He has a lot of trouble writing in general. They started working on his ability to write sentences last year in first grade. At the end of the year while his peers were writing 5 sentence stories they were lucky to get 3 out of him. This is year his peers are writing 6-10 sentence stories already where as he is still doing 3-5. He can keep up with them if typing though. He has had the ability to construct a sentence since the beginning part of first grade. His motor skills are just working agianst him.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:26 PM on Sep. 22, 2011

• And yes even at the end of the year his peers in first grade were not expected to have perfect spelling or punctuation.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:27 PM on Sep. 22, 2011

• MY DD is 6 years old and in first grade she has been writting sentences since probably last year, while in kindergarten. This year there is a lot expected of them. They have all these writting workshops etc. Short stories and what not.
    JNLmomme09

Answer by JNLmomme09 at 2:32 PM on Sep. 22, 2011

• My 6 yr. old can write sentences. He might have to translate either the spelling or grammar, but they are sentences.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 2:32 PM on Sep. 22, 2011

• My 6 year old can write sentences.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:35 PM on Sep. 22, 2011

• Mine can too. She learned in kindergarten when we lived in WI and here in TX the first graders are just starting to write them.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 2:37 PM on Sep. 22, 2011

• In our district the kids are doing Fundations since kindergarten learning all the letters and sounds and then by the end of the year writting small sentences, but now in first grade, I think that they are writting short stories.

Do you know the programs in your district?
    JNLmomme09

Answer by JNLmomme09 at 2:41 PM on Sep. 22, 2011

• I have a first grader and a kindergartner. my kinder. can only write a few things "together" such as her full name

my son is in 1st (he'll be 7 in about six weeks) and can write some things in a simple sentence and was doing it last yr, much earlier than his sister
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:46 PM on Sep. 22, 2011

• My DS is 5 and just wrote his first sentence last week. It was something like "OR POWR WNT OWT" (our power went out). I was pretty happy about that.

OP, When you say your child can't write sentences...what exactly is it that LO can't do? Can't write the letters? Doesn't understand that letter's make words? Can't form a sentence?
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 2:51 PM on Sep. 22, 2011