Why do people hate Christians so much?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:30 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

•  I too am a Christian. And I try to live my life in such a way that makes people want to learn more about what I believe in. I do not push my beliefs on anyone because I wouldn't want anyone to do the same to me. But if someone comes up to me and asks me."How do you get through all the struggles of life,without letting them bring you down?" I will be honest in my answer and tell them that it is my faith and unwavering trust in God that gets me through. I am a BIG believer in prayer,simply because I have seen it work in my own life.People will believe whatever they want no matter what you tell them.TRUE Christians know that it's NOT about us..it's ALL about HIM. It doesn't matter how rich you are(or poor),what kind of car you drive or how successful you are.. it's about what you GIVE to others..how you LOVE others..even the ones who don't share in your beliefs.

sunshynemom71

Answer by sunshynemom71 at 1:50 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• I don't think people hate Christians. But I think people resent self-righteous Christians who hold themselves above others. If we really ask ourselves what would "Jesus do?", I think the answer would be different than how some Christians behave. (Notice that I don't say the majority, rather some) Christianity teaches love and compassion. Christians teaches not to judge others and yet some Christians behave as though that were a requirement of their beliefs. The humility that Christianity teaches isn't alway followed. Have you ever met someone who seems to say, "I'm more Christian than you, and I am so certain of my place in the afterlife?". Really, how can anyone be that good? We are all sinners. And that superior attitude isn't real repentance. So, if you feel that people hate you for your beliefs, think "how am I treating others, am I demeaning toward them, am I judging them?".
    Anonymous

• Well said
    TRyan

Answer by TRyan at 2:49 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• People (in general) don't hate Christians (in general).  However, there are some Christians with a superiority complex stemming from the idea of an exclusionary heaven that the religion subscribes to. 

Any religion with such a theory of the afterlife could produce such complexes, but in America we see the Christian majority supporting morality legislation based on what they think is unacceptable based on a religious ideology. 

The idea that Christians are the authority on how others should be is one of the reasons I've experienced a disdain for the religion as a whole, but I don't think it is applied to individuals often - only to those that openly display that ridiculous notion.

clithero

Answer by clithero at 3:07 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I never realized people hated Christians. I know I don't
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 3:30 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• For God SOO love the earth, that he gave his ONLY begotten Son, so that ANYONE who believe in him shall not die but have Everlasting Life. PERIOD! Believe Jesus died for you and Accept his free gift, and quit thinking your better cause you call yourself a christian. Not even the Pope is higher in God's eyes than any other "human" being. The Pope thinks he's God rep here on earth. the Bible does NOT say that! The Pope does.
    It's ONE thing to know the path of God and QUITE another to ACTUALLY walk the path of God.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 5:20 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• umm excuse me, vbruno, where did I say I thought I was better because I am a Christian? I do believe in Christ. That would make me a Christian, no better than anyone else, just a discriptive word.
    Anonymous

• also, I don't put my faith in the pope. I am not a Catholic.
    Anonymous

• I do not hate Christians as a whole but I have never had a buddhist, a wiccan, a muslum, a hindu, a humanist, or anyone else besides a Christain attempt to convert me to there beliefs. I know this is not true for all Christians but I have found that a great many of them tend to have a general lack of respect for anyone that does not share their beliefs in their Lord Jesus Christ and the all mighty God. Many of them deny this, but if you attempt to have any form of conversation with them regarding religion and/or beliefs they are adimit to state that "This is the way it is." and that "There is no other possible truth but what they choose to believe."
    Motherdragon

Answer by Motherdragon at 7:02 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I will answer it this way. There used to be an atheis Mom on CM who wrote a column called Your daily dose of Atheism. She was a Mom like us. She was smart, openminded, kind and hardworking. I hardly knew her but I knew that much. She left CM because she was harrassed by Christian women who went out of their way to confront her unlovingly and they weren't even credible when it came to defending their faith. They were much better at being offensive. She left. Why would anyone stick around to be bullied like that? I still feel sad about it. I think she was a special woman. I don't think she hated but if she did, I would understand why. Christ wasn't a bully.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 9:00 PM on Jun. 19, 2008