clomid what would you say .......

my insurance would not cover the cost of clomid so DH and i looked it up on line and the clinic that we were going to was offering it online so we bought some. I will begin taking it. I think that you are suppose to take it on cycle day 5 and go for about 5 days i believe. Could anyone help us with this. I could not get back in to see the doc until I am well into my cycle already and we really dont want to miss a month of trying so any help please.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• OH MY GOODNESS.....NEVER be your own Doctor and just take medication! This is a powerful drug that CAN cause you to hyperstymulate and could be deadly at the worst and could cause great pain or even just multiples. An OB should monitor you at least with how you are feeling, the dosage, how many folicles you are producing on your own etc..... I wound up taking 17 rounds of Clomid (TOO MUCH) and in the long run it can make you more prone to cervical cancer.... YIKES ---- DO NOT DO IT!
    stannseniors

Answer by stannseniors at 10:51 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Yeah I agree with stannseniors, I have done clomid myself. My doctor had to do an internal ultra sound day 1-5 of my cylce before even giving me the meds. It can cause really bad cysts that they are only going to see by ultra sound. I got aleast 5 really good size cysts threw out my time taking it. I took it for almost a year on and off because any time i got a cyst I would have to wait until my next cylce. I would never even try it without a doctor its not worth the risk.
    Ms.MarineWife

Answer by Ms.MarineWife at 12:49 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I hate to be negative, but I highly recommend taking that medication under the watchful eye of your doctor. You may only need to take it one month (as I did, 12 years ago, my first pregnancy) Don't think I am picking on you, but if you can't afford the meds, then you might want to reevaluate the whole pregnancy thing. My 4th child was born and accrued $36000 in medical expenses in the first month. She is perfectly fine, but we had a big bill, much larger than a series of Clomid. I wish you the best.
    Scimecamommy

Answer by Scimecamommy at 12:50 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• you know what.. i am kind of a risk take and my husband and i did some strange things to get pregnant.
    I would try the clomid. i mean you can take one a day from day 5 through 10 of your cycle and you should ovulate about 4 days after you are done with that cycle. i would not take more than one a day though, and there is a slight risk of having multiples. just becareful and dont take more than one a day.
    Best wishes and baby dust
    Anonymous

• I have to agree with Scimecamommy .... as a 40-year-old mother of 4 plus a stepdaughter, I have been through a LOT in the last 18 1/2 years, when I chose to get pregnant with my first. I don't want to come off as sounding holier-than-thou. I just want you to hear the voice of someone who has lived through the ups and DOWN-DOWN-DOWNS of financial struggles. You can't even begin to imagine the costs children incur. Her comment about not being able to afford the cost of Clomid should be a neon blinking warning sign. Before you get too far into this, may I suggest that you try reading Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover? I promise you won't regret it!!! Good luck.
    home2stay

Answer by home2stay at 2:06 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• ladies she is not saying that she can not afford to have a child, she is saying that her insurance will not cover the cost of clomid. maybe her insurance will not cover fertility drugs. We dont know her situation so we should not say anything about her not being able to afford a child. I think that i would take it if i was having a problem with getting pregnant. yes you take it on day 5 of your cycle for 5 days and i believe that you ovulate 4 to 5 days after your last pill. i will look it up and let you know for sure though. good luck on your baby making
    Anonymous

• You should definitely have a consult with your doctor before taking anything like that. I am in shock that they sale it online without a prescription!!
    AlliO2

Answer by AlliO2 at 8:47 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Come on - Clomid is not THAT expensive. If you were taking 50 mg (which a DOCTOR would prescribe) and it's only 5 pills. My insurance didn't cover it either....you call around to pharmacies and find the best price. Where can you buy prescription drugs without a prescription??? No one reputable will do that because of the liability....what kind of clinic is this??
    stannseniors

Answer by stannseniors at 9:09 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• where online did you buy your clomid from? And how long did it take to get to you?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:37 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• FYI

Hello everyone, i was on my second course of clomid and started to have SEVERE cramping, i went to the ERa nd they found a softball sized cyst on my R ovary and a 3 cm cyst on my left. With these cysts I cannot concieve, and My doctor is taking a VERY laze fare approach, my heart is so broken I want a new baby but the dr says it will be months before i can concieve, PLEASE EVERYONE BE AWARE of the side effects of cysts and the danger of taking clomid THE SIGNS OF A CYST ARE PREGNANCY SIGNS nausa, fatigue, and food aversions

PLEASE BE CAREFULL WITH CLOMID.
    mammallamadrama

Answer by mammallamadrama at 1:14 AM on Sep. 2, 2009