Who wakes up first at your house and what are the responsibilities?

I'm usually awake...I'm an insomniac, but I will usually lay in bed til my daughter wakes up...then I get up, put on some coffee, get her dressed, get her started on breakfast and then either get in the shower or do a little housework.

About a month ago, my SO was up all night...couldn't sleep...and I laid in bed (actually was able to sleep a little) and I woke up to my daughter playing in the living room. I go out and they're watching TV and I get asked "what's for breakfast"...lol...my response was "whatcha makin"

It made me think...I don't do it because its "my job"...we both work outside of the house. I do it because I'm the first one up and my daughter is usually hungry and wants to get dressed. I'm not saying it hurt her to stay in her PJs and wait an extra half hour for breakfast. I'm just saying he's lazy! lol

kabbot01

Asked by kabbot01 at 10:43 AM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I am usually up first and I make the coffee and breakfast but if my husband gets up first he will go buy me mocha (he can't make coffee to save his life) then come home and cook breakfast.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 10:45 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Oh Im up first, usually with my youngest. My DH doesnt eat breakfast before he leaves, he just drinks a Dr Pepper while we watch some tv.
    When my older two get up then I fix them breakfast and get them changed and dressed,etc.

DH is off to work before 730a and never home til around 630p so he doesnt do much LOL.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 10:49 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I'm usually first. I let the dog out, feed him and the cats, make coffee and do some housework.

On days when we're off, my kids sleep in so I always have time to sit and drink coffee in peace.
    mwebb

Answer by mwebb at 10:50 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I am usually the one who does the morning routine . But if by chance I sleep in (that is rare) He will do the morning routine.

Answer by louise2 at 10:52 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• When the kids were living here I got up first and got them ready for school and fixed breakfast- not much, cold or hot cereal usually. These days my husband gets up first since he leaves first for work. He fixes his own hot or cold cereal. By the time he is doing that, I am in the bathroom. When I am out of the bathroom he is ready to brush his teeth, and leave for work. Then I come online and check email, eat some breakfast ( a dish of yogurt) in front of the computer, and leave for work.

Answer by Bmat at 10:56 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• My DH is up at the crack of dawn, and leaves for work by 5:45am.... I am still sleeping, can hear him up and about, but try not to let him know I am "awake", else he feels the need for conversation. My kids have the same early rising disorder that he does, so they wake ME up around 7am. We get breakfast, (cereal, waffles, pancakes or PopTarts, sometimes PB&J!) Get them dressed, get me dressed, take the middle one off to PreSchool, drop the oldest off at Kindergarten, then my 2yo and I get to have two hours of us time. Pick up the Preschooler, drop the two youngest off at Daycare then off to work myself. DH picks up from School & daycare, then I'm home from work by 7pm, I make dinner, clean up from dinner, get the kids ready for bed, get them in bed, then try to get to sleep myself. Hmm doesn't sound like a very productive day spent. Oh well, that's my life!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Its just me and DD, so I handle all the responsibilities every day.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 11:08 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Like epoh, I'm a single mom, so it's all on me. But, I did get a nice surprise this morning. When my kids got me up, I went in the bathroom to wash my face and stuff before I came out to the kitchen to get breakfast. When I get out to the kitchen, my 2 boys, ages 7 & 5, have gotten out bowls, spoons, poured cereal and are adding the milk for all of us. All without making a mess!!! I was so proud and excited. They NEVER do anything like this. It was a big moment. lol
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 11:17 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Husband is up first. He either goes to work, or waits for me to wake up to make breakfast. Sometimes I dread having to wake up - sure, I get a "thank you", but it's just become sooooooo routine and expected. I get the same from the kids.......
    Anonymous

• Hubs goes to work at 3am...so I do it all.

Wonderlust

Answer by Wonderlust at 12:51 PM on Jan. 2, 2009