I can't believe it- My daughter just swore at me :( Should I wash her mouth out with soap?

Mom_Named_Kelly

Asked by Mom_Named_Kelly at 10:50 AM on Jan. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• How old is she..
    Jan40

Answer by Jan40 at 10:51 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I wouldnt wash her mouth out with soap, thats gross! I would however, make her take a time out or something.
    asholan_07

Answer by asholan_07 at 10:52 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• That's up to you, but I wouldn't do it. Seems kind of cruel.

How old is your daughter?

Explain to her how swearing is not nice. She heard it somewhere. I'd get to the bottom of that and then fix it.
    mwebb

Answer by mwebb at 10:53 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I think that first you should give her a warning before jumping straight to the punishment, it depends on her age, and it doesn't sound like she's done this before.
    HNK11

Answer by HNK11 at 10:54 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• If you want to, go ahead. Talking to her and telling her she is not aloud to say that word, cause it is not a good word, would probably work too

Answer by louise2 at 10:56 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I've never used soap on my kids. However, I have given them a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar. I don't allow my kids to call anybody stupid, idiot, use curse words or say, "Shut up". We don't curse in our everyday talk so my kids haven't really been exposed to much language. However, my son has used the word stupid and told us to 'Shut up' a couple of times. We warned him the first times he used those words and told him what we would prefer he said and let him know what the consequences of him using those words would be. But, he pressed his luck anyways. The second times he did it, we didn't give him a warning. We went straight for the vinegar. That seemed to do the trick. So far!

Growing2Fast

Answer by Growing2Fast at 12:15 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I read a story years ago about a little girl who's mom washed her mouth out with soap. The little girl's throat swelled up, and she ended up dying. I can't remember if she was allergic to something in the soap, or why that happened . . .

That's an extreme case, but I wouldn't wash her mouth out with soap. I would explain to her why that language is not acceptable, and tell her she is not allowed to use it again.
    Anonymous

• Yes I would, it will teach her there are consequences for her actions.

sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 12:45 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• how old is your daughter?
    mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 1:04 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I think washing the mouth out with soap is a ridiculous punishment. While cursing may be unacceptable, there are much more reasonable ways to solve the issue. You did not say how old she was. If she is very small, she may have just been mimicing something she heard - she may not even realize it is a curse word. If she is very small, you may just want to explain that the word is inaapropriate and that she shouldn't say it. A lot of times, if you make a big deal out of it, it will make it even more attractive to use the word because a lot of small children find it really funny when adults give them a big reaction to something. If your child is older, explain exactly why you don't want them to use the word. Explain that next time it happens, there will be a consequence . They may have simply been pushing their boundries.
    ElderGothMom

Answer by ElderGothMom at 1:17 PM on Jan. 2, 2009