I am a single mom who works full time. What do I do with my sixth grader this summer? She is too old for most daycare programs.

KatEyes3

Asked by KatEyes3 at 11:03 AM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Does she have a friend that has a sahm? Maybe she could go to their house for a few hours in the afternoon.
    asholan_07

Answer by asholan_07 at 11:04 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• YMCA if you have one in your area or start looking for day camps she can go to in the are.
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 11:04 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Okay, this is great. This is what I did. I talked to the local daycare providers and was able to get my daughter in as a "volunteer" to help with the young kids. She did that for like two years in a row, then she went on to teach, at a very young age, gymnastics to younger children.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 11:05 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• The ideas already posted are good. If those don't work, what about trying someone who runs an in-home daycare? Maybe she could help out with the little kids... sorta like a summer job.

She'd have someone to watch out for her.... she'd be learning skills she needs... and maybe you could get a discounted rate because of her age & her helping out.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 11:07 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I was babysitting by that age.
    If she is mature, she can probably stay home, at least some.

We also had a city pool we spent a lot of our summers at. We'd walk with a group of friends sometimes.
    3gymnastsmom

Answer by 3gymnastsmom at 12:50 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Summer Rec. Ask her school about it because i know here in bensalem PA all the schools have summer rec programs
    Anonymous

• Great ideas so far, I love the idea of her "volunteering" at a daycare center. My son goes to Summer Rec now, they have fun field trips just about every day and he gets to see his friends from school. Before we moved 2 years ago, he went to a Boys and Girls Club, another great program, he was always busy, never bored and always wanted to go!
    wendya78

Answer by wendya78 at 1:00 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• have you looked into summercamps? they have them for teenagers, I dont see why they wouldnt have them for 6th graders.
    Barb87

Answer by Barb87 at 2:09 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Hi my name is Ashley I would suggest a summer day camp i went to that when i was that age and my sister who is now 12 is also in one its like a daycare but they call it a day camp its fun....hope i helped
    Ashley2323

Answer by Ashley2323 at 2:27 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• My daughter stayed home by herself when she was that age, but we live in a very small town and I felt safe leaving her. However, when she was 9, I hired her a "Summer Friend", a high school girl that basically came over and hung out with her. They would go to the pool, bake cookies, watch TV, talk about boys, etc. I made sure my daughter didn't think she had a babysitter, and I told the "friend" her job was basically to just be there as a companion. It worked out really well.
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 2:37 PM on Jan. 2, 2009