BF and pot

Does anyone have an information about the effects of marijuana on a breastfeeding child? I'm trying to educate my sister. Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Just for Fun

• it is still better to smoke marijuana and breastfeed than it is to formula feed (formula is quite icky). Very little marijuana is passed through the breast milk. There have been some studies (don't know the link, sorry) to show slight impairment in abilities (i.e. walking, talking, etc) at one year of age, but those studies are iffy at best. There are other studies that show no impairment by 1 year of age. Rastafarian mothers smoke pot as part of their Religion during pregnancy and breastfeeding, fyi.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I dont have specifics but its obviously stupid.
    asholan_07

Answer by asholan_07 at 11:11 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• :-S I am not sure either, but that is sad:( Time to quit being selfish and give up the drugs (no matter what kind) when you become a parent.
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 11:16 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Some folks just shouldn't be allowed to breed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• thanks anon 11:17, I'll be checking those out
    and anon 11:16.. don't be so judgemental.. I said I was educating someone.. not that anyone I know is doing it
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• There's still no definite answer about pot, a lot of studies have been done, a lot of studies have come up with nothing being wrong with the child and even the child being more advanced, and then there have been studies of it being bad for the child, but there is just no definite. I just know with something like that, if it was unknown, I wouldn't risk something happening to my child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• come on people!! She's looking for help, not someone to tell her what to do! Sorry OP, I don't know the info but I"m sure there are some groups on here that would be able to help you!
    Check out Moms for the Legalization of Marijuana...
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 11:37 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I don't know the ramifications, but pot can be laced many unknown substances. Not a risk I'd be willing to take.
    Momtocccd

Answer by Momtocccd at 11:47 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Contrary to what anonymous above posted, marijuana is fat soluable and does cross into the breastmilk. Neural activity in infants of mothers who smoke it is shown to be slower.
    Anonymous