How old?

How old was you're little one when they started feeding themselves?
And what did you do to help them learn?

mblucky

Asked by mblucky at 11:10 AM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Probably about 11-13 months. I didn't do anything special. Just gave them the food and a spoon and let em at it. Since they'd be used to eating from a spoon already they knew what to do with it.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 11:14 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Do you mean with a spoon/fork or just their fingers? My kids started finger foods at about 7-8mos. but they didn't use the spoon/fork on their own until they were about a year. My youngest refused to let anyone feed him starting at 7mos. The best way to help them learn is to just let them have lots of practice.
    sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 11:15 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I mean with a spoon, lol sorry yea my son is a year and hasn't started to yet ..
    mblucky

Answer by mblucky at 11:17 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Well my youngest started self feeding at 7 1/2 months. When she turned 1 she got a spoon with every meal she fed herself and picked up on it real quick. By 13/14 months she would use the spoon but not real well. By 16/17 months she was eating cereal and soup with a spoon without spilling.
    My other kids took a lot longer to figure out or want to use a spoon. They were more like 18 months-2 years and I still have to yell at them to not use their fingers and they are 8, 7 and 6, but my 2yo has no problems and always uses her fork or spoon, lol. Go figure.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:35 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Fingers...6 months
    Fork...10-11 months
    spoon...closer to 18 months
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:14 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I started letting my son feed himself when he was old enough to eat otmeal and hold the spoon around 9 or 10 months he would make a mess but he learned all by himself pretty much i helped him the first couple time but after that he kinda picked up on it now hes 24months old and can use a fork and spoon very well it might be messy at first but they'll get it eventually....
    Ashley2323

Answer by Ashley2323 at 2:36 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I've been setting a spoon and bowl in front of my son since he was about 9 mos old. He still doesn't use it just yet... but he starts out the meal TRYING to use it!! He just gets frustrating and puts it down. I don't pish him to use it.... he'll get it. But I give him the chance to try at every meal. My two year old has been eating with one for a LONG time... probably since about a year, and he's almost three....

My one year old is still working on it but I'm pretty sure he's close!!!
    livn4hevn

Answer by livn4hevn at 4:08 PM on Jan. 2, 2009