confused...

i have a 9 and a half yr old hound dog-cross and since yesterday, he's been very lethargic and slow moving. he is usually just lazy b/c he's getting up there in age. but he won't eat much, and he's been having diarrhea and vomiting...i'm worried he was poisoned. he's been in my family for over 9 yrs now and i really am sad. sometimes him and our other dogs get into the garbage...i've looked online at strychnine poisoning as well as antifreeze and his symptoms aren't really that...i feel terrible for him, but i don't know if maybe anybody is a dog expert here? lol. =[ I guess 'food poisoning' is my question, could my dog have eaten something rotten and gotten sick from it? We live in the country also, so maybe he ate something dead that got to him?

Cowbell88

Asked by Cowbell88 at 11:21 AM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Pets

• Take him to the vet....
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 11:23 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I would call the vet. He may need to be seen.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• ..or at least call =]
    SandraB383

• i'm calling pet poison control.
    Cowbell88

Answer by Cowbell88 at 11:25 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• It could easily be his intestines...when they get older they can get twisted or even blocked. What you may be seeing might not be true diarrhea but what is trying to come out from behind the actual blockage.

I hope things are okay, I agree with everyone else about calling or taking him to the vet.
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 11:27 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Call the Vet, don't take any chances.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 11:28 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Tiredness, diarrhea, vomiting, something isn't right. I agree he needs to see the vet poor baby. I hope he is OK. Please let us know?

Answer by Bmat at 11:32 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• =[ thanks girls.
    Cowbell88

Answer by Cowbell88 at 11:50 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I just wanted to post it could possibly be the dog food. My dog was losing hair and losing weight. After paying over $300 to vets. I emailed the breeder of my dog who suggested it may be the dog food. I went online and found numerous complaints from the dog food brand I was feeding to my dog. Some dogs even passed away...Please check online at your dog food brand and see if any complaints have been made.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 11:00 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I'm a vet tech. Sounds like he has pancreatitis or an obstruction. With hold ALL food and water. See a vet now it can be life threatening.
    luvinher

Answer by luvinher at 12:02 AM on Jan. 3, 2009