Do you wash pillows in the washing machine?

My husband will put pillows in the washing machine to clean them. I think it's so odd but he says his mom did it all the time.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:46 PM on Jul. 15, 2008 in Home & Garden

• I do but only once or twice then i get rid of em and buy new ones ,we are all due for some new pillows real soon,and i just washed my daughters pillow last night...lol
    nikki7376

Answer by nikki7376 at 6:59 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I wash pellows in the wash 8shrugs*
    Sweet_nothings

Answer by Sweet_nothings at 7:32 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• It depends on what type of pillow it is and IF it is washable. But yes I do wash them at least 4 times a year in the washing machine. It really cuts down on dust mites and allergens.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 7:58 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I Fluff and freshen in the dryer
    jamiinvegas

Answer by jamiinvegas at 8:03 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• Yep I do wash them, but after some time even wash them don't help and it's time to get a new one. Do you know when it's time to get a new pillow??

For feather or down pillows, fold your pillow in half (or for larger pillows, into thirds) to squeeze out the air. If the pillow stays folded when you release it, now is the time to buy a new pillow. Down pillows should spring back into their original shape and fluffiness.

For synthetic pillows, put your pillow on a flat surface and fold it in half (or thirds, for larger pillows) to squeeze out the air. Put a hardback book, something lighter than War and Peace but heavier than Pat the Bunny, on it. The pillow should toss the book and bounce back into its original shape. If it doesn't, you need to get a new pillow.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 8:15 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• yep I wash them once every 3 months. I write on the end of them in Sharpie when I buy. At one year they go to the trash and I buy new. Dust mites and allergens are the main reason why.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:22 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• yep i wash them....my mom always did too... and i put a clean sneaker in the dryer with them to fluff them up!
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 8:23 PM on Jul. 15, 2008