Docs. scaring women.

A friend who was induced and told her baby was "too big" at 9 lbs. told me her OB said that in 1900, 1in 12 women died in childbirth. I thought this was a suspicious fact and so looked it up at the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, only to find this:

At the beginning of the 20th century, for every 1000 live births, 6-9 women in the United States died of pregnancy-related complications, and approximately 100 infants died before 1. From 1915-1997, the infant mortality rate declined greater than 90% to 7.2 per 1000 live births, and from 1900-1997, the maternal mortality rate declined almost 99% to less than 0.1 reported death per 1000 live births.

I"m sorry but 1 in 12 deaths is a huge leap from the actual 'fact' of 6-9 out of 1,000 deaths! Why would Docs. scare women this way?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Because if they can convince someone to have a c-section they can charge more.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 11:53 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Doctors like to have control and if you are scared for your life or your child's life , they think you will do whatever they say. Prove them wrong! Have your friend look at altrunitive froms of child birth. Tell her that she is in control and only she can decided who gets to plan her child's birth, =)
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 11:59 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Because the larger your baby the greater the chance of complications during delivery. To a mother whose baby died in Labor because an anesthesiologist was too lazy to get out of bed, I think doctors should be honest about the risks.

I would rather have a C-section than another dead baby.

If he didn't tell her that and she and/or the baby died in labor, you bet her family would sue him.

Life and death medical decisions should NEVER be about money.

I didn't get a C-section so a hospital could save money, so everything is not always what it seems.
    AussieMum2

Answer by AussieMum2 at 12:03 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Because they love to hand out c-sections. I've heard all the lines about why something HAD to be done but in the end when I declined it ALL the baby and I came out much better. I'm all for medically needed interventions but doctors just go too far.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 12:13 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Wow. With my first child my Dr told me I was going to have a big baby and he was concerned. I went into labor on my own and she was only 6lbs 10oz and 19in, she was little. I got a different Dr with my 2nd pregnancy and he was amazing. He knew my chances of surviving the pregnancy were slim but he didn't tell me, he only said he was very concerned and my son had to come out soon. I kept him for my 3rd and last pregnancy. He is blunt but he does it in a way not to scare women.
    PoisonousBlonde

Answer by PoisonousBlonde at 12:26 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Because the C-section rate in the US is now somewhere between 30 and 50%, depending on the area. When selecting a doctor and hospital (if you are having a hospital birth), ask them what their personal percentage of c-sections are. Find out from the hospital when most c-sections are performed. The OVERWHELMING majority of C-sections are performed between 9am and 5pm, how on earth could ALL "emergency" C-sections be during office hours?
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 12:27 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Keep investigating. The cost for maternity care is greater than anywhere else and the maternal and fetal deaths are not the best ranking. :- /
    I see doctors say all kinds of things to women that aren't necessarily true.

MANY women used to die in Childbed Fever (before the doctors realized that they needed to wash hands-- they spread the bacteria, yuk).
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:10 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Ok first off why did he use "facts" (using that term loosly for this doc) from the 1900s???? We are in 2009 now! Im pretty sure there have been some more relavent numbers that he could have been mis-quoting. I personally wouldnt feel comfortable going to the dr anymore knowing he has lied about the facts and is just trying to use a scare tacktick (sp?) to get her to have a c-section. This was one of my fears of going to and OB, they are surgeons and are gungho ond slicing and dicing. It seems like if one thing is off, even the tiniest thing its "C-section". Plus I think drs use the lack of knowledge women have about L&D and medical things plus the huge kick in of being a mother and doing whatever is best for baby to get what THEY want. I would tell your friend about the Real facts you found and express your concern.
    ReneeLRS

Answer by ReneeLRS at 1:18 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• KnoxvilleDoula i also heard that they were at their peak at the hours of 4pm and 10 pm. Little fishy to me any way about it.
    Anonymous

• C Sections have been one of the reasons that the infant mortality rate has dropped..as well as the cerebral palsy rate (which is caused by birth injuries/high forceps deliveries, etc.) It's a Catch-22. In the old days if a baby was born "less than perfect", it was considered God's will. Nowadays someone is going to get sued.
    BTW: my first child was a vaginal delivery and he SHOULD have been a section: he was born with extreme moulding and skull fracture. Believe me that my second was a C section (after 12 hours of labor!)
    companygoddess

Answer by companygoddess at 3:09 PM on Jan. 2, 2009