my daughter is holding her bowels and hasnt pooped in 5 days, nothing is woring

I have used supositories and the doctor gave her a sugar med to put in her drink but nothing is working now they want me to give her an enima???? Anything else I could try instead??

madison07

Asked by madison07 at 12:00 PM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Apple juice is a natural laxative, you could try that.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 12:02 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Sorry, I should have said that it has natural laxative properties. But I would still get her back to the doc.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 12:03 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Prune juice, or prunes, or raisins.

Answer by Bmat at 12:04 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I have tried prune juice and apple juice full strength and nothing has worked-but thank you
    madison07

Answer by madison07 at 12:58 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Here is what my doctor told me. First of all, dont give any more suppositories! They only make your child dependant on them. That happened with two of my kids. One dr. gave me suppositories and they worked, but then they would only poop when I gave them one. Try milk of Magnesia. Sometimes toddlers get constpated and when it hurts to have a poop, tehy teache themselves to hold it to avoid pain. The milk of mag will soften things up and make it impossible to hold. Then you can retrain her that it doesn't hurt, by keeping her stools soft for a while. Try 1 tsp. in her sippy cup every day. If nothing comes from that you can increase the amount, but it won't hurt her, won't give her stomach aches and isn't habit forming like suppositories. Also as a side note, give her grahm crackers and bran muffins as snacks. (My kids think they are treats) they taste great and are really high in fiber.
    zackkatiejames

Answer by zackkatiejames at 4:56 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• at any wal mart there is this stuff called little tummy's it is a stool softner just for kids.
    my oldest daughter has problems going poop because she's in a wheel chair but it helps her and donesnt hurt her.
    meemee74

Answer by meemee74 at 7:36 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Have you tried the liquid supossitories or only the sticks? if you haven't tried the liquid, try it first.
    o0dles

Answer by o0dles at 1:10 PM on Mar. 22, 2010