Does ANYONE have a good marriage?

I'm getting married soon, and all the negativity is killing me. All of my friends and most of my family are either divorced or well on their way. Everyone keeps telling me that marriage changes people and my SO will think he "owns" me then. We love each other, why can't anyone be happy for us?

Is anyone out there actually happy in their marriage? Good marriages must exist somewhere.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:07 PM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Relationships

• Yes, very happy for 19 years. Best wishes!
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 12:07 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• im veryyy happy :) love my hubby to pieces
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 12:08 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Yes, amazing :)
    HNK11

Answer by HNK11 at 12:11 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Hubby and I are celebrating our 6th wedding anniversary this weekend, and we still are like newly weds with 3 kids. We had rough patches, but we both are bound and determined to make it work. One thing that has really helped us, don't go to family about problems in your marriage!! They mean well, but all too often they choose sides (usually yours), and can make you feel guilty about staying. Find someone that is more neutral that will be an encouragement. Man I could write you a book on all the things that hubby and I have learned over the last years.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 12:12 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• 38 years here. It hasn't always been roses, but we love each other and have dealt with the thorns. Don't go to bed angry. Keep control of yourself when you are mad or arguing so that you don't say something hurtful. Swallow your pride so that he can feel happy, chances are what you are arguing about isn't earth shattering. Never say I told you so- why make him feel inferior. Never ever call names. And when you are arguing, make it a rule to stick to the present subject and not bring up past grievances or wrongs. Treat each other courteously and civily. Even though it is outdated and not PC anymore, the song about Wives should always be lovers, too, still works.

Answer by Bmat at 12:13 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Yes. Oddly enough the best advice I got before getting married was observing all the crappy relationships around me. I learned what doesn't work and what type of wife not to be. Yes, in most cases of the bad relationships around me the biggest problem was the wife or girlfriend. We have the power in the relationship and set the tone for our marriage. Don't be discouraged by all the negativity. We only get a glimpse on this forum and who knows if anyone really tells the truth. I think a lot of the time they are only giving one side, which makes total sense, when you think about it, because they are seeking a sympathetic ear. Plus a lot of people get married for the wrong reasons (like an unintended pregnancy) or they get married before they are mature enough and are unwilling to work with the challenges of a marriage. Don't stress over it. Don't compare your relationship with the one's mentioned here.
    PROGENITOR

Answer by PROGENITOR at 12:16 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I just got married about a month ago =] It's not any different now, except everyone is calling me Mrs. Bransten. We had already been living together for like a year and half. Nothing has changed between us. Although.. I have found that I seem to have a smile on my face a lot more now =]
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 12:17 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• im not married because I cant find the relationship i want to get married in

i have been with my daughter's father for 9 years and i will not marry him for many reasons

haileysmom2001

Answer by haileysmom2001 at 12:20 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I've been married for 7 years. We have a strong marriage although we've been through terrible times. My parents are divorced and hate each other, so I was worried about getting married just to get divorced.

I love my husband and he loves me, although we are not always "in love" with each other.

Your husband should never "own" you or you "own" him. Your both individual people who plan on sharing your lives together.

Marriage is a beautiful thing. Don't let the negativity from people get you down.
    mwebb

Answer by mwebb at 12:20 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Of course there are good marriages out there. The biggest piece of advice I can give you is to make the word divorce a bad word! Make a pact with your husband that divorce is NOT an option and you will always work things out. I think the following book should be given to every newly married couple. It's an excellent read and makes total sense. Read it with your new husband and put it's principals into action and you will have a good marriage.

Love & Respect by Emerson Eggerichs
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 12:22 PM on Jan. 2, 2009