Tell me this is not starting already! Young boys!

My son is 7 and a half. He likes to get online and play games and thats ok with me. I have him the KidZui.com browser so there is no chance of him accidently stumbling on anything inappropriate. It emails me weekly reports of his activity. Mostly cartoon network.com games and stuff like that. But it tells me his last 5 searches. One was for "boobs" and one was for "girl privates". (except he spelled privates wrong lol). Isn't 7 too young for this already! Lord help me LOL. I know curiosity is normal but I wasn't expecting it so soon!! Anyone else deal with anything similar? Do I say something to him?? Or just let it go since he didn't see anything. Thank god for that kidzui browser. If he had googled those he would have gotten an eyeful!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:24 PM on Jan. 2, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• LOL its normal. At around 6-7 they start exploring their body parts and playing thngs like Dr. With the invention of the internet they dont have to play dr lol they cam google.

Answer by gemgem at 12:27 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I would probably have a talk with him. I'm not sure where kids that young get it from. School, probably. And no, I don't think he is too young for those curiosities... I think thats the normal age =] Good luck!
    Anonymous

• Wow that is scary. I would definately talk to him and try to answer his questions for him, take the mystery out of it, then maybe he he will learn to go to the right sources for answers.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 12:30 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• It was probably someone at school telling him to go type those words in on the interenet. I remember at about that age someone told me to go look up "penis" in the dictionary, so I did. I already knew what it was, but it was the fact that I had access to information about it and knowing it was taboo that made me so curious about it.
    Anonymous

• Probably normal.
    I'd just talk to him and tell him that you don't want him to be looking for such things yet. And that if he continues to try to, you'll take away computer privileges.
    3gymnastsmom

Answer by 3gymnastsmom at 12:48 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Now is the time to start establishing a trusting relationship with your son. Please speak with him about it and let him know that he can speak with you about ANYTHING. Let him know that girls have a different private part than boys. If you start that now, he will trust that he can always come to you if he has questions. But you HAVE to always answer his questions. Even if the answer is, "I don't think you need to know that right now. But when the time is right, I will be more than happy to talk to you about it."

My sons (5 & 7) know that they have a penis. And they know that girls have something different (because they asked and I told). But, when they asked WHAT girls have, I just simply told them they didn't need to know that right now because just as their penis is private, what girls have is private too. This convo basically started because they asked why girls don't stand while using the bathroom. : )
    Mom_of_2_boys09

Answer by Mom_of_2_boys09 at 12:59 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I'm such a weenie! I have always dreaded this convo with my son! But I know I have to have it. My parents NEVER spoke to us about sex or male bodies. I had 2 sisters and we never even saw my dad with his shirt off. So this is why I want to be more open with my kids. I don't want that communication gap to be there like with my parents. I will talk to him and let him know he can ask me anything. And also inform him that the internet is not the place to search for such things, as there is alot out there he should not see. Wish me luck!
    Anonymous

• I agree that the curiosity is normal, but the internet search I'm not so sure on. My son will be 8 next month, and he's never done that. I'm thinking maybe someone told him to do that? Or showed him how? Probably one of his friends. Or a friend's brother maybe was looking stuff like that up, and he saw.

I don't think I'd make a huge deal out of it, but I would sit down and talk to him. My 7 yr old, right now, has only had the basic sex talk (two people in love, married, makes a baby), and a pretty in depth discussion of privacy and our bodies. I'm probably going to sit down with him again pretty soon and talk to him a little more. I'd make sure to do at least that much with your son, and explain to him that the answers he needs aren't going to be found on the internet, that he needs to come to you and that if you can't answer his question, you will do the research and find the answer for him.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 2:45 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Its normal, hes curios at that age. However, it might be a good idea to sit down and explain to him that such searches are innapropriate. Or it might be better for his dad to do it, LOL. Be comforted, as hard as that sounds. Hes progressing like a kid should!
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 3:35 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I'm right there with ya....my DS is also 7 in a half and I caught him googling "hot girls". I did have a talk with him about it and he was very embarrassed, I asked him where he learned this from and he said a boy at school told him. This was like a year or so ago and I havent seen him do this since, but I freaked out too because I didnt know they started out this early, but then again you cant help what other kids tell your kids at school.
    lilmans_mommy

Answer by lilmans_mommy at 11:23 AM on Jan. 3, 2009