One Million Moms???

Ok so i just found out about this group called One Million Moms that's purpose is quote

"Mom, are you fed up with the filth many segments of our society, especially the entertainment media, are throwing at our children? Are you tired of all the negative influences our children are forced to contend with? If so, we urge you to become a member of OneMillionMoms.com. OneMillionMoms.com was begun to give moms an impact with the decision-makers and let them know we are upset with the messages they are sending our children and the values (or lack of them) they are pushing. Our goal is to stop the exploitation of our children, especially by the entertainment media (TV, music, movies, etc.). Mom, OneMillionMoms.com is the most powerful tool you have to stand against the immorality, violence, vulgarity and profanity the entertainment media is throwing at your children. It is time to fight back!"

Their current issue is with Dancing With The Stars because they feel like allowing Chaz Bono to compete is giving a platform to the LGBT community. I have a lot of issues with this group. I don't understand why parents are so afraid of being open and honest with their children? So ABC told your kids what transgender means? TALK TO THEM! So what if your kids sees one of PETA's "I'd rather go naked then wear fur ads"? TALK TO THEM. BE A PARENT! Stop trying to have the media raise your child. The biggest influence in a child's life IS the parents. I would like to start a group of my own and anytime OMM's sends a petition to a network or an advertiser telling them to stop I will send one telling them that there are just as many parents out there that are willing to BE PARENTS and take care of this themselves. That belive in honesty and open communication with there children. I know a lot of women IRL who feel the same way I do. Parenting is MY job not the medias...and the "suggestive" things shown on tv have been a GREAT tool in TEACHING my child.

Cafemom has a very diverse group of women so i would like to ask you? Do you support trying to ban things from TV and Print ads or do you use those things as tools to have open honest communication with your children?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:25 PM on Sep. 23, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Well I am one MOM who will not be joining them,,
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 4:34 PM on Sep. 23, 2011

• i would have to agree with the ''violence, vulgarity and profanity'' being too much today.
    did you see Cars2, or Rango? rated G and PG, respectively, but most certainly NOT what is expected from disney movies..for kids!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 4:52 PM on Sep. 23, 2011

• ..sorry, clicked 'enter' too soon.

i don't agree with anyone legislating morality..as i believe it is subjective.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 4:53 PM on Sep. 23, 2011

• No, not joining them, I have morals and standards.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:04 PM on Sep. 23, 2011

• I agree there is too much "Crap" on tv. Frankly I am tired of having to explain everything to them. The stuff my kids faced has gotten worse as they've gotten older. My youngest is 18 now, and I protected them against most things I could. If I had to do over, I'd leave TV OUT of it all together.
    About the million mom's??? I'd just like to say since I heard of this group, that is exactly why I don't join groups such as that one. Because I will NEVER agree completely with how any specific group may view things.
    If people would calm down and take a step back., most kids wouldn't even know Chaz is transgender. It's the million moms group who tends to draw extra attention to things such as this. Sometimes ignorance can be bliss for our children, and I am more of a promoter of that. Even my youngest daughter would NEVER know Chaz was born a woman. Why direct attention to it. To each is own in life, I don't have to agree...
    momma-t42

Answer by momma-t42 at 5:39 PM on Sep. 23, 2011

• ...but I sure wouldn't be pointing it out either. To me that make's groups like that look foolish. Nit picking people's lives apart. Leave Chaz alone, and just don't watch the show if you don't agree. Boo hooing about it is silly.
    JMO
    momma-t42

Answer by momma-t42 at 5:40 PM on Sep. 23, 2011

• I've had run in's with OMM in the past, and I'm sure I'll have them in the future. They are a thinly veiled hate group! Not something I would ever be a part of!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:06 PM on Sep. 23, 2011

• Since you asked this, I'm going to share the email I got from them today - It reads as follows (more than one block)

"This week the season premiere and the results show of Dancing with the Stars aired on ABC. They did exactly what OMM thought they would do and precisely what they said they would not do. They made a platform for the LGBT community. The network and program's agenda was obvious after announcing Chaz Bono as the first transgendered contestant. Then they had the audacity to give a definition of what that means for anyone who is not aware. While showing a childhood picture the program aired a description that transgender means, in this case, that Bono was born a girl but is now a man."

cont...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:19 PM on Sep. 23, 2011

• "OMM's point has been proven. OMM emailed ABC originally asking that DWTS remain a dance competition show and have just dancing. Bono and his publicist both said there will be only dancing. Furthermore in an interview with Good Morning America, Bono said more than once that there will be only dancing and no agenda or discussion of his sexual lifestyle. They did not keep their word because sexuality was stated in the explanation of what transgender means.

Loving your child is to teach them right from wrong and help them find help when they need it. Someone has to want help and seek help though. A sin is a sin. We are all sinners, but we try to do better and get help when and where we need it. Thousands of Christian counselors and pastors are available all across the country to help anyone who is struggling and living in any kind of sin including homosexuality, gender identity disorder or gender dysphoria."

cont...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:20 PM on Sep. 23, 2011

• "If you or someone you know needs help finding a Christian counselor go to www.AACC.net for more information.

TAKE ACTION
    The sponsors of the program are: Disney, Marshalls, TJ Maxx, Hellmann's, Walgreens, Allstate, Subway, Avon, Captain D's, Lowe's, Olive Garden, Cover Girl, Kohl's, Diet Coke, Applebee's, Victoria's Secret, State Farm, Aveeno, and Macy's. Please send them an email letter urging them to pull their support from Dancing with the Stars and no longer sponsor this program through advertising."

If this isn't hate, plan and simple, I don't know what is. To target ADULT SHOWS and try to force them to remove a contestant or guest simply because of their sexuality is hateful, discriminatory and just plain disgusting! I feel for these women's children, I know what it's like to grow up in a toxic environment like that - I did it!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:22 PM on Sep. 23, 2011