My son just won't behave at school

I have been having problems with my son. apparently at school he won't listen to the teacher. Today she sounded like she was going to cry and told me "I just don't know what to do with him" We have tried giving treats for good behavior and rewards. We tried "if you do good I will be happy but if you do bad I will be sad do you want me to be happy?' The teacher put up a Green, Yellow, Red chart and if the child is in the red they didn't do well that day and green is good ect. PROBLEM! My son LOVES the Power Rangers and his favorite one is the RED RANGER.....so of course he will TRY to be in RED because of that reason. "I'm RED mommy!!" Today I finally decided to try what my grandparents did to me when I was little if I was bad then my grandfather pulled down the paddle and spanked me. If I was good I got to watch TV and get treats ect. If it worked for me it is worth a try on my son right? Really I have tried everything else I can think of. I tried a sticker chart, letting him pick where he wants a treat from, assigning a specific treat or goal treat for at the end of the week. What else could I try? Really I am so stressed and going to school myself, about to start a new job I am so tired that I got home and cried just from stress and frustration.

Cloudfairy

Asked by Cloudfairy at 5:10 PM on Sep. 23, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Didn't you just post this question? Take your child to a psychologist and find out wtf is wrong with him....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:12 PM on Sep. 23, 2011

• yeah some how it got double posted. Sorry about that
    Cloudfairy

Comment by Cloudfairy (original poster) at 5:13 PM on Sep. 23, 2011

• The one and only time I ever pulled my son's pants down and spanked him, he was 6. I'm not sure how old your ds is....this too shall pass.

Why don't you try asking HIM what would help him to be good....you might have to define "good"....like...

1. Sit in your seat
    2. Keep your hands to yourself.
    3. Do not talk during quiet time
    4. Do your work....etc. etc.

Ask him, he might surprise you. You might hear that he doesn't like his seat (he can't see/ hear well or something) or that other kids pick on him or laugh when he acts up and he likes it.... Try to figure out if he thinks there is any type of problem at school.

Good luck!
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 7:06 PM on Sep. 23, 2011

• Tried that too. We even read a story called bobo the monkey where bobo breaks all the rules and gets in trouble then learns it is better to follow the rules. I asked him if someone was bothering him at school his teacher has him sitting next to her and he still won't hold still.
    Cloudfairy

Comment by Cloudfairy (original poster) at 11:26 AM on Sep. 24, 2011

• Maybe look into parenting classes, that might be helpful.
    albionel

Answer by albionel at 5:46 PM on Sep. 24, 2011

• consistant discipline. don't give a threat unless you intend to act.
    don't argue with him. ever.
    once i tell me son i'm done argueing he's learned that i really am done argueing and what i say goes.
    it's very difficult to control a child whose at school though. i understand your frustration. though my son is well behaved (as much as a 6 y/o can be) he's still very rambunctious at school and gets in trouble alot. i'm still working on that there. his schools great and really works with him but it will take alot more work before he's a easy kid to deal with.
    alexsmommy51405

Answer by alexsmommy51405 at 7:17 PM on Sep. 24, 2011