how do i know if my milk is dryin up??

when my son takes a nap usually my boobs FILL so much they just leak streams of milk.. and now NOTHING they dont even feel like theres milk in there.. i need to pump so i can go to an appt i have but im not sure theres milk to do so...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:07 PM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Health

• Depending on how old he is, you might just be losing that full feeling. It's normal. As long as he's nursing frequently, seems content & happy & you're changing plenty of diapers...no worries! As for pumping, it's not a good indicator of supply. You need to be hydrated and relaxed & good pump knowledge to get a decent amount. If you have an electric pump, turn it all the way up until you have letdown (this simulates the intense suckling of the baby) then dial it back to a more comfortable level. Yah-it's no fun but it works! Make sure you're in a comfy spot & visualize that milk flowing...it really helps. You can also cut holes in a sports bra to hold the cone(s) so you can nurse the baby on the other side or just hold him to help with letdown. Good luck!
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 1:34 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• That's a good question : / I'm dealing with engorgement (I formula feed) and some relief would be great.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:09 PM on Jan. 2, 2009