Is being the leader always a good thing?

Do we always have to be the leader and wanting to always lead bad thing? I grew up with my mom always be the leader never the follower, here I am almost 30 and I do not know how to follow or rather let someone else take the lead. I do not like being told what to do not do I like following others rules. I have never been able to be in a group or team setting and not take over no matter how hard I try. I was riding today and I wonder if being like this as been a weakness for me? In the job setting I follow directions pretty will as long as it makes sense I cant follow nonsense. Do beleive some people are born to lead and others born to follow? Is there ever a time where being the leader is not a good thing?

Saved_by_GOD

Asked by Saved_by_GOD at 1:16 PM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Money & Work

• I think that being a leader is a wonderful thing BUT you also have to be able to work with a team. It is a great feeling to lead people but it is even more important to be able to work WITH people. There is absolutely nothing wrong with bweing a leader! Where would we be in this world without leaders? It would be chaos!
    sassyhettel

Answer by sassyhettel at 1:45 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I think some people have to think up problems to obtain attention.
    It doesn't matter what your mother was like, you're not her. You don't have to lead or follow.
    There are people it this world with real problems, why not find those people and offer to help them rather on concentrating on yourself. The say goes "What would Jesus Do?" Not "What would my mother do?"
    Anonymous

• Anon you took that much time out of your life of problems to answer this question? If I want to discuss making myself better what does that have to do with you? Instead of answering me why dont you find some of those people with real problems and answer their questions.
    Saved_by_GOD

Answer by Saved_by_GOD at 4:14 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I think that it is best to be able to lead in some things and follow in others. If you have a skill set that makes you very good at something, then the group benefits by your taking of a leadership role. By the same token, if it is an activity in which someone else excels, you should be able to step back and let them do so, because trying to assume a leadership role someone else should have weakens the group.
    And no one is the best at everything, so no one needs to be the leader all the time.
    ElderGothMom

Answer by ElderGothMom at 4:37 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• No, I don't think it is. Some people ARE born leaders, that's for sure, but they have their own struggles. You've listed a few of them. You step on a lot of toes by always taking the lead. Sometimes it's beneficial, but being able to ride in the backseat is also an important trait to have!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 5:40 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Part of being a good leader is also knowing when to sit back and bite your tongue. I had to learn this the hard way of the years.
    Magpie75

Answer by Magpie75 at 7:56 PM on Jan. 2, 2009