I dont get it

If you guys are chrisitian this is what christianity teaches that we carry the sin of adam and that we are born with sin. So if you say your christian this is what it says in the bible. Why do you think they baptize babys , your christian and you dont belive this.? I promise this is what christianity teaches. So if you say your christian you just dont believe in the teacching of this one thing

muslimmom

Asked by muslimmom at 7:05 PM on Jul. 15, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Over the centuries there were a great many theologians that considered things like this. What different sects believed is greatly influenced by these theologians even when they don't know their names. At least one theologian came to the conclusion that though all people are born with the "stain" of original sin that until children were old enough to act on it they were innocent. Thus some sects don't baptize until people are old enough to make concious decisions. This issue is very black & white to you, but a few centuries ago (18th century I think) people used evidence from the Bible & the writings of church fathers to clear up what they saw as grey area. It isn't neccessarily that they think people aren't born carrying the sin, just that they aren't held responsible for it until they are older.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 7:32 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I'm a Christian. I don't believe in infant baptism. I don't believe it is scriptural.

Excellent article, scripture based http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GospelWay/message/64

Infant baptism changes God's pattern for baptism. He tells the conditions people must meet in order to be baptized, but babies do not meet those conditions. Baptism does not save people. Infant baptism often leads ppl to believe they are saved, gives a false sense of salvation.
    pwfaith

Answer by pwfaith at 7:34 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• That's an interesting and honest question. I don't fully understand in my heart the idea of original sin either since the bible says that children are innocent anyways. Regardless, I had my children baptized as infants in the catholic faith. That doesn't mean they've met the conditions that pwfaith mentioned though - for catholic christians that happens when they're confirmed and receive holy communion. Those two sacraments come much later when the young teen can think reflectively and accept responsibility for their choice.
    Gotoyourmoms

Answer by Gotoyourmoms at 8:53 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• yes children will be with God, they are innocent, no need for infant baptizm
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 9:46 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• Where does the bible say children are innocent? Innocent in what way?

I have never understood the catholic view of infant baptism honestly. I know they are baptized again at confirmation but no matter how many times it's explained to me I still don't get it lol it just seems unnecessary. I know, ppl tell me it's like dedication, but it's not really. Baptism is only talked about when someone makes a decision so why not just do a dedication if it's like a dedication, why baptize? Unless one thinks baptism saves I guess. Which isn't scriptural either.
    pwfaith

Answer by pwfaith at 10:03 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• Actually my understanding is that the word baptism is not used in the Catholic church in regards to the ceremony for infants. They are Christened, meaning that the baby is given a Christian name, the parents pledge to raise them in the faith & god-parents pledge to support the parents pledge & continue their Catholic upbringing if the parents die or are incapable. It is for their future salvation not their immediate salvation as I understand it, but I am basing this on what I have read not direct experience.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 10:31 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• Baptism is the term used by the Catholic Church and it usually occurs at infancy not with Confirmation unless in the case of converts who have not been previously baptized. In the Catholic Church you can not be "re-baptized." If you are interested in more about why Catholics baptize infants these are some good articles explaining it.
    http://www.catholic.com/library/infant_baptism.asp
    http://www.catholic.com/library/early_teachings_of_infant_baptism.asp
    rasbneon

Answer by rasbneon at 12:21 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• The bible doesn't teach to baptize babies. It teaches when you have recognized sin in your life and want to start fresh and decide that you are going to live a righteous life & you accept Jesus as your lord and savior, you then get baptized as a symbol or act of washing away your sins so that you can start over fresh. Baptizim is not for babies because they are not old enough to know what sin is or even ask for forgiveness. What you do is dedcate a child to God.(1 Samual 1)I am a non-dominational Christian when don't have all the extra rules about children being baptized and all the other rules other denominations have as far as accepting Christ and going to heaven. If a baby or small child dies they are going to heaven. All I can say is ladies please do your research because some people ( no disrespect to anyone) are not Christians who walk the line.
    FanofJesus

Answer by FanofJesus at 2:03 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• Some of the people answering these questions haven't read a bible in months or even yrs, or for that matter practice what they preach or even stand for what christianity stand for. For a minute no matter what your faith is or even if you don't have a believe look at all the people who said they we're believers in what you believe in(or don't) and did or said something stupid or that goes against what your faith teaches. It allows or gives people the desire to pre-judge you even if it was more than one person, people try to make you fall in line with others mistakes. I'll tell you this even if you don't believe in Christianity if you know or have read what it TRULY means to be one you'll know it when you see it(unless your just spitefull)
    The End:)
    FanofJesus

Answer by FanofJesus at 2:10 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• let the children come to me and do not forbid them for such is the kingdom of god assuredly i say to you whoever does not reacieve the kingdom of god as a little will by no means enter it LUKE Chapter 18 verse 15
    muslimmom

Answer by muslimmom at 9:20 AM on Jul. 16, 2008