How do you help cure, or at least comfort, a constipated infant? The constipation is caused by vaccines, not food intake.

mamattis

Asked by mamattis at 7:18 PM on Jul. 15, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Okay, this is going to sound weird, but our first (and only good) pediatrician suggested it... and it worked like a charm for all of my kids: Take a good amount of vaseline or lubricant (you know the kind I mean) on your pinky finger, spread the buttcheeks, and put it just as far in there as you can see with his/her cheeks spread --- don't "shove" it up in there or anything.

Ya do that at every diaper change, and things will get moving in no time.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 7:23 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• Rub baby's tummy in a circle going clockwise. This "coaxes" the bowels and baby loves it. Also, push the baby's feet so that his or legs bend and the knees are almost touching the tummy, like the fetal position but on his or hee back.
    alexmomma2007

Answer by alexmomma2007 at 7:28 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• when my daughter is constipated... the only way she is comfotable is if i take her diper off and she will lay there and put her nees to her chest and somtimes that will even help her poop!
    Sweet_nothings

Answer by Sweet_nothings at 7:29 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• My peditrician prescribed Miralax - 3/4 tsp daily in her milk. Also pear (or prune or white grape) juice daily. "Bicycling" the legs will help relax the muscles to prevent tearing, too when they finally do go.
    Anonymous

• Pear juice , works like a charm !
    jamiinvegas

Answer by jamiinvegas at 7:55 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• Pear juice is what worked best for us. Apple juice was too acidic and caused diaper rash.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:08 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• just give em a little water
    marianarebecca

Answer by marianarebecca at 9:42 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• pear juice, prunes either juice or the fruit, gripe water
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 9:43 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I was told to give my son a few ounces of water with a spoonful of sugar in it. Juice and water works well too. It works fast too.
    thethrashersmom

Answer by thethrashersmom at 12:34 AM on Jul. 16, 2008