How can I get my 14mth old to give up that night time bottle and especially the middle of the night one?

I have treid just not giving it to her and letting her cry, but she will cry for three and four hours. She still usually gets up once a night sometimes she wont have to have it but sometimes she does. She has used a sippy since she started eating solid foods. Only gets a bottle at night and occasionally nap time.

brandiwr

Asked by brandiwr at 1:59 PM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If she can use a sippy cup, she doesn't need a bottle.

What do you give her in the bottle? Put that in a sippy and give that to her. I'm not sure about still needing one in the middle of the night, though....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:23 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• if she is having a hard time transitioning from bottle at night to sippy at night there are sippys out there with soft nipple like lids to them switch from the bottle to that and then maybe a week or to later switch to a regular sippy although ive learned it is best to try and break the habbit of giving one to them in the middle of the night trust me once u break her of the habbit at night youll probley sleep alot better lol i sure do now....
    Ashley2323

Answer by Ashley2323 at 2:31 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• When I weened my daughter from the late night feedings I started to give her less. Like she would have 6ounces, so I lowered it to 5 for a couple nights, than to 4 and so on, until I got to two ounces. At that point I just stop and she was okay without it. Unfortantly, she still gets up at 2:30am like clock work everynight. She usually will cry for 5mins and go back to sleep. Hopefully she will get to the point where she can sleep through the night. As for bed time bottles. I would say keep your rountine the same, and like the late night bottle, start subtracting how many ounces you give and while your doing that, maybe switch up the routine, like do the bottle before a bedtime bath or reading a book, however you may do that. Just remember, you know your child best and every kid is different. Go at the pace that makes you both comfortable.
    luvthezoo

Answer by luvthezoo at 4:11 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• when my girl was 1 years old i took all the bottles and threw them away. i gave her one of those nubby sippy cups with the soft spout and from there slowly got her to the hard spouts. the nubby cups dont leak
    Anonymous

• Is it just water in the bottle? If not, switch. She doesn't need the milk - it's just packing on extra weight and harming her teeth.
    Once she is taking just water, put an extra bottle in the crib. Show her that it is there. When you go in in the middle of the night, show her it is there. Eventually, she will find it on her own and not need your help. Think of it as a glass of water on the nightstand.

The other choice is to get rid of them all. Box them up and get them out of the house - even if it's just having a neighbor store them for you if you want to keep them for the next baby. Then let her cry. You can try a special "night-night" sippy cup if you want or just don't give her anything.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:22 PM on Jan. 2, 2009