Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Child support question.....

My ex husband and i got divorced and decided to settle what he would pay me each month for our daughter ourselves and custody arrangments and such..... well at first it worked really really well but now its getting a little Iffy!! He is going to have her every other x mas and easter (we live 1300 miles away) and he pays $400 a month for support, anyway he is starting to want ALL holidays and starting to kinda be an ass about things, I know its hard not seeing her but this was our agreement, anyway we have been fighting alot and so i looked into what I would be getting in support payments a month if it was court orderd... and its $1500 a month well i get $400 and its just not cutting it with all she needs for school and her activites and things so Iv been think that maybe I would ask if he could at least start sending $600 and that would help alot...... Do you think this is inapropiate of me???

Answer Question

Asked by scaredmommy08 at 2:00 PM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Relationships

Level 3 (16 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • NO its not at all! If what you are getting is not supporting your child you need to request more!

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:05 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

  • Since he's not abiding by your original agreement, what makes you think he will agree to upping the child support? He'd probably hold out for MORE visitation. I would contact a lawyer and get everything done legally so there's no way he can back out.

    Answer by companygoddess at 2:52 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

  • If he's acting mean like you say he is, I wouldn't just ask him, I'd take him to court and get the custody arrangement in writing from the courts. And the child support will be garnished directly from his paycheck. Get a lawyer and take him to court. This is your best chance of keeping primary custody of your child. As far as holidays, they'll probably keep it the way it is, but he might get her for a few weeks during the summer.

    Answer by feesharose at 3:08 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

  • you need to just take this whole matter to court, let a third party figure this out, 400 bucks a month is not gonna cut it, he'll get pissed but your divorced right so let him :)

    Answer by tntornado45 at 3:20 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

  • I'd suggest working together on those dates of visitation/holidays. Special occassions/school activities come up and it's hard when the child can't participate and neither parent is willing to just change some dates. If you go to court to change the child support/activate you don't have to take the whole amount the court orders, you can say you don't want to cut his throat financially and settle for a certain amount (I have a friend who was awarded about $1500 based on his income but she said no, she didn't want that amount and asked that it be dropped to $600 and of course it was and the judge applauded her for her compassion).

    Answer by lisa_ann_p at 3:22 PM on Jan. 2, 2009


    IL. law states that for one child 20% of the non-custodial parents income is approximately what support should be. That's including medical insurance. And providing he isn't supporting any other children from other women. Check this link. It's a support calculator for IL. If he's making the income that would allow for $1500 a month then he should pay it. But be careful what you wish for.

    Answer by Chrissy629 at 4:52 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.