Toddler head bumps?

Last night I was playing with my son in his playroom, he had started running a little fast and tripped and fell. On his way down he smacked his head into the door pretty good, resulting in a nice big goose egg.
I called the on-call nurse at our peds office and she told me the symptoms to watch for and said to wake him up every 2 hours last night, which I did. He seemed fine and he seems fine today as well. I called back to my peds office to check in and the nurse that is there today told me I need to wake him and check him every 2 hours again tonight. The previous nurse told me I only needed to do it last night, and now I am confused. And I'm annoyed that the two nurses contradicted each other and now don't know what to do. Anyone have experience with this?

aurorabunny

Asked by aurorabunny at 2:02 PM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Kids' Health

• 2 nights in a row? I think that's excessive, unless he's not acting fine today. If he's exhibiting no symptoms of concussion (no throwing up, passing out, forgetting things he knows, etc), then I'd say you're in the clear. It seems HIGHLY unlikely that any serious symptoms are going to wait THAT long to show up.
    BigMommaJesca

Answer by BigMommaJesca at 2:10 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I might wake him a couple times but not every two hours.. I am sure he is fine. D had SO many goose eggs on his head when he was little, good thing the nurses and docs knew I wasn't an abuser because just about every time I took him in for a check up he had a bump or two on his little head! lol Boys....
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 2:21 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Perhaps the second nurse misunderstood and thought he bumped his head today?
    Anonymous

• You're supposed to watch them for 48 hours. You don't have to wake him, just make sure he can stir.

The fact that there is swelling OUTWARD is a good sign that there's no great damage, though. If there is a concussion, the symptoms can show any time in the first 48 hours.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:54 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I would wake him several times (2 or so) but I dont think you need to wake him every 2 hours if he is acting fine , is not excessively sleepy , throwing up , acting confused or disoriented and the bump is not progressively getting bigger. If he starts to act differently or he gets sick , I would call the pedi back and see what they want to do. As long as hes being your lil man , I wouldnt worry too much ( i know easier said than done especially with OUR kids) It wont be the last knock to his noggin trust me .
    Mom2PunkRockers

Answer by Mom2PunkRockers at 3:18 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Just as an update the goose egg is practically gone, it's pretty much entirely gone. It's just scraped up and a little bit black and blue. He is still acting fine. I think I will just check him periodically tonight and make sure he is responsive without completely getting him up out of bed and getting him all riled, think that would be okay? Because he has so many sleeping issues once I wake him up he doesn't go back to sleep for 3 or 4 hours so last night was awful.
    aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 3:51 PM on Jan. 2, 2009