My son throws up when I give him chunkier foods. Any suggestions?

My son is 13 months old and he has always had a problem with throwing up. His doctor never seemed too concerned because he has always gained wait well. But now I can't get him to advance to bigger foods. He does ok with chunks of bananas and cherrios (those took a while) but I cant get him to eat any stage 3 foods without throwing up. And it isn't that he doesn't like them, he loves carrots but when I make them a little chunkier than pureed, he throws up.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:32 PM on Jul. 15, 2008 in Kids' Health

• You might want to ask for a consult with a pediatric nutritionist.
    My oldest never took stage 3, he stayed on stage 2 for longer, and then moved on to table food. He is really sensitive to texture. If stage 3 is not working for you, stick with stage 2 and try table food slowly.
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 8:04 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I have a daughter that has a severe feeding disorder and when we went through a top notch feedings inpatient program they said to go from pureed right to little bites of food. They said that 3rd foods are more difficult than little chunks of banana or cheerios because there are two textures and it is hard for kids to learn to eat two textures. I would skip third foods and go for foods that are like cheerios....mac and cheese, yogurt, apple sticks or things he can mash if he does not have teeth.
    DorothyOpp

Answer by DorothyOpp at 2:21 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• My son was a reflux baby. He could not tolerate any foods past stage 2 baby foods till he was 15 mos old. They finally put my son on a stronger dose of Axcid and he finally started tolerating chunkier foods. I would talk to ur sons dr!! There are things that can help them.
    redtang912

Answer by redtang912 at 9:21 PM on Jul. 17, 2008