Could always wearing your hair up, like in a ponytail, cause a tingling-painful feeling on your scalp?

At the crown of my head, my scalp gets all tingly and it's almost painful. I sought my doctor's opinion back in June about it and all I got was that it "might be a chemical imbalance". I was told that my body would sort it out. Well, here we are, January and I still have that weird tingly feeling. I have an unusual amount of hair loss as well. When I went to the doctor back in June I asked about a thyroid issue and was told I am "too young" for that and they didn't do a blood test. It runs in my family though, my mom was diagnosed with an under active thyroid when she was my age. Anyway, I am looking to see what other causes there could be. I do always wear my hair up, I have for as long as I can remember. I hate having it down and in my face. Do you think that years and years of wearing it up could be causing my scalp to tingle and hurt? I don't think that could be it, but I wanted opinions. Thanks!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:17 PM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Health

• it definetly could be that you wear your hair up all the time. I have to wear my hair up tight and in a bun for work EVERY DAY, and if i put it too tight sometimes my head hurts sooo bad. When you take your hair down and rub your head if you get that "Ahhhh" feeling, hehe, then you should definetly wear it down more often or looser at least. and it can cause hairloss as well
    smnice

Answer by smnice at 2:23 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I get that feeling from time to time, but only for a day never over 24 hours. I'd find another doctor that will listen you and your concerns. Not to scare you, I have a 21 year old friend who had thyroid cancer. Go get yourself checked.
    PeytonNBella

Answer by PeytonNBella at 2:41 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• you probably have your hair up too tight in the ponytail
    Krystle21

Answer by Krystle21 at 8:15 PM on Jan. 2, 2009