so my dog is due anyday to have puppies. i took her temp this morning and it was 98.5-98.7 im assuming the time is nearing....when i put her in the room with her box she freaks out...any ideas as to why

do you think the anxiety of her being seperated and not liking it can cause problems?

Kennadismom

Asked by Kennadismom at 2:51 PM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Pets

• I really am not being snotty here, but have you seen an animal go into labor? It is not just cleaning up a towel... it is pretty messy. We chose our dogs place to deliver. We let her be in there by herself for times and would check on her. When the dog is in labor, she will be mostly laying around or trying to fix her bed.
    dakotaNrye

Answer by dakotaNrye at 2:57 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• When she is ready to deliver she will be willing to get in her box. When you say freakign out, is she pacing around? Is she digging at the blankets? I personally was brought up breeding dogs, so I probably can give a lot of advice.
    dakotaNrye

Answer by dakotaNrye at 2:54 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• i think she doesnt want to go into labor there. animals choose where they want to give labor. if they arent comfortable with a place theyll find somewhere else.

let her pic where she wants to go into labor. and when she does put a towel under her quickly so that nothing gets stained or anything.
    Anonymous

• my god was really scared during her delivery. when i came home she already had 1 pup out but she was so freaked out as soon as she saw me she climed into my arms and didnt want me to leave, so just keep her comfortable by being with her rub her belly try to relax her...
    Albi1623

Answer by Albi1623 at 3:05 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• no by freaking out i dont mean pacing and nesting....i mean yelping so bad that it sounds like someone is killing her. this behavior is normal for her. she has anxiety ( i think) because anytime i leave her alone she acts this way....i really dont want her giving birth on my couch! but i dont want her anxiety causing problems either. BUT when she isnt in her room she is trying to pull at the back of my couch and the cushions (what i would assume is nesting) any ideas....dakotanrye if you have any helpful suggestions please give them. this is the first time, she got pregnant by accident but plaese dont judge that i didnt get her fixed early i lost track of time...my fault i know
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 3:06 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Did she do the digging before she got pregnant? Our dogs first sign of labor was the digging. As like someone else said, she might be very scared. Our Boxer was like that. We would comfort her, sit with her and stuff.

I am not going to judge. I only hate people that breed dogs over and over to try to make a quick buck, or people that are just breeding to breed. I am kinda weird about it, but I personally know accidents happen, I have a two year old lol
    dakotaNrye

Answer by dakotaNrye at 3:12 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• noo digging before this, this is all in the past few min. should i let her go where she wants if she chooses my couch how do i move the puppies...i thought i couldnt touch them. also how do i protect my furniture lol. i have a 6mo old should i keep her away from the dog while she is birthing...im home alone and not quite sure what to do
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 3:17 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Girl, that dog is goign to be having puppies. You need to move her to that room. What kind of dog is she?

I am telling you it is MESSY!!!

You DO NOT want her to deliver on your couch. If she is small, can you find a large box to put her in???

Also, with our one dog, I had to touch the puppies. I had to break their little sacks so they could breathe. We would wipe them off, and they never had any issues. Think of this, the doctor cleans up your baby when it is delievered, right?
    dakotaNrye

Answer by dakotaNrye at 3:21 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• she is a rott/yellow lab, the dad is pitt/boxer
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 3:25 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• i have a whelping box put together.....she wants no parts of it. thats where i had her earlier and she was freaking out
    Kennadismom