Would you tell a mom her kid smells bad?

My neighbor's kids ALWAYS stink badly. Her daughter smells like pee (she's 6), and her son, well, just smells (he's 8) like he hasn't bathed in a week. Would you tell her?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:54 PM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Just for Fun

• That is a very difficult question.....I mean, I can't imagine that she won't be offended! Does she smell too? Does the house smell? Do the kids seem neglected in other ways? Do they seem happy? Do they play nicely with your kids? I guess if they really smell, and you are offended by it, then what do you have to lose by telling her? Maybe she will be more careful about washing them....they would benefit from that if they smell! She may just tell you off or never speak to you again, but I guess that is a chance you are willing to take. I would have an extremely difficult time bringing up something like that to a Mom.....I can't picture it going well. But, maybe the kids would benefit if it brings it to her attention.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 3:32 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Question is how much do you speak to the mother? I know I would have a hard time talking to her about it if I never spoke to her. That's just me though. Someone has to say something though...
    dakotaNrye

Answer by dakotaNrye at 2:55 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Yes, I would. Even if the mother hated me for it.. I'd put it nicely obviously, but the daughter's going to get embarassed everywhere she goes unless you do something about it.
    HNK11

Answer by HNK11 at 2:56 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I would, too. She may not realize it. If you say it in a nice, concerned, way then that is all you can do and if she takes offense that's the way it is. It would be service to the children, after all, to make them socially acceptable. As it is they are going to be ignored or ridiculed by the other children and maybe adults.

Answer by Bmat at 2:58 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I think I personally if I were good friends with her would say something yes, even if we were only in passing polite to one another I'd tell her. Her kids smelling like that could get CPS called on her because she shows that she isn't making sure her kids bathe. Once they're teenagers it's one thing but at their age she still has the ability to force her kids to bathe and keep clean
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 3:36 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Yes, she smells too. How would I possibly bring that up in conversation?
    Anonymous

• Well...If she also smells you may have an opening.

Telling someone they stink is always hard. My BF told me the other day and I still took it kinda hard, lol. I suppose the best you could do is "Sweetie, I don't mean to be rude but we're smelling a little ___ today." If she gets defensive let her know you don't MEAN to be offensive it's just you don't want someone else having to tell her in an even worse way.

Suggest watching her kids while she gets cleaned up (sometimes we just get busy. we all do.) Maybe an evening thing where you could get her two in the tub too. She may just need help.
    madamekatekate

Answer by madamekatekate at 5:08 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Have you thought of just leaving an anonymous note for her? When she isn't home, just slip it casually into her mailbox or under her door.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 5:21 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• You could try mentioning it as if it were a one time thing. Maybe say something like "I don't know what Johnny got into the other day before he came over, but it made him smell." Then, she won't take it as you're saying something bad, but it should bring her attention to the fact that other people are noticing and maybe she'll get their acts together, all of them.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 5:24 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• If you are her friend you would. It sounds like she just needs to bathe them more often. The 6 yr old wets the bed and neither of them bathes regularly. Is this the only neglect issue with them? I'd worry Mom hasn't caught on to it yet herself. If my kid smells bad I notice and make them bathe. I have a 12 yr old that has to be forced and I do force him if I see he's funky!
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 9:55 PM on Jan. 2, 2009