How can I discourage my labradoodle from running down into the gully to play in the water?

I know labs love water, but the gully is dangerously steep and then she's all wet when she comes back. She ends up being stinky quickly and needs a bath a lot. She's also getting our other dog to tag along with her even though we had taught her that that area was off limits.

elwalters77

Asked by elwalters77 at 7:36 PM on Jul. 15, 2008 in Pets

• My sister has 2 labs. You know those plastic wading pools department stores have in the summer? My sis fills one of those and videos the dogs playing in it! You aren't going to stop a lab/anything from playing in water, just provide a cleaner (and more funny) alternative.
    LeftBrainy

Answer by LeftBrainy at 9:48 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• An electric invisible fence comes to mind......Works with a collar that will mildly shock him if he goes past where you put the boundaries. that or put up a fence to keep him out.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 7:40 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I have a yellow lab he is about 7 years old and still absolutely loves the water. We try and take him to what we know is a safe place and let him play and fetch in the water on a routine basis. Maybe if you found a safer place and took your dog there to get his kicks in, he may get it out of his system and it won't seem sooo interesting at home, especially since he won't associate the other swim hole with getting into trouble.
    xraylady_81

Answer by xraylady_81 at 8:42 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• Labradoodle = labrador retriever + poodle. Did you know that Poodles were bred to retrieve from water, just like Labs?

Both breeds are water dogs, so you can't discourage her from wanting to go into the water (it's in her genes from both parents!), but you can confine her from it by force... using a fence, invisible fence, running line, or some other containment system.
    Kauna

Answer by Kauna at 10:33 AM on Jul. 21, 2008