How do I get my son to continue taking a daily nap?

Our son is going to be 3 in September and he fights nap time and sometimes doesn't take a nap all together. This catches up with him around dinner time though and he becomes very cranky and overtired. He still needs a nap, but how do I get him to keep taking one?

elwalters77

Asked by elwalters77 at 7:38 PM on Jul. 15, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My kids gave up naps at different ages, mostly around age 4. Before they gave up naps altogether, they kind of weaned themselves off them by taking one to three naps a week, instead of one every day. Yes, they were cranky on the days with no naps, but they adjust, especially if you give them some quiet time instead of a nap.
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 8:01 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I would suggest the quiet time as well, and let him know that even if he doesn't want to take a nap it is good for him to sit and listen to a book so he can relax a little bit, it may be the encouragement he needs to keep snoozing smoothly...Good Luck and God Bless
    wondermommy5

Answer by wondermommy5 at 8:59 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I would forget fighting over napping at that age & just work on quiet time. Let him know he doesn't have to sleep but he has to lay or sit quietly in his bed. The above suggestion of a book on tape (or CD) is a great idea I bet you could find some at goodwill or salvation army for less than a buck. Or he could look at picture books. If he really is tired & isn't busy trying to fight you about napping he might fall asleep. If not he will at least be more rested.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 9:35 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I let my son watch a movie during his quit time. If he is really tired he will fall asleep. Good Luck
    PPrice

Answer by PPrice at 12:43 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• I have my daughter "rest". She has to lay in my chair and just rest for a little while. When she needs it, she will actually fall asleep. Other days she just lays there and reads or watches her shows. Good luck!
    mandcmom

Answer by mandcmom at 11:43 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• If you figure this one out please let me know. My dd is 4 1/2 and I am having the same problem. As for giving her quiet time....on the weekends when I am home, I put the twins down, then I lay on the couch and tell her that I am going to take a nap. She is quiet and does relax, but still, come 7pm, she is a horror to deal with. However, she does go to bed earlier b/c of it. But either way -- I FEEL YA!!!!
    isaboo22

Answer by isaboo22 at 4:34 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• I have my daughter "rest / quiet time". She lays down on the couch to watch some TV or Read her books. If she - her body needs the rest, she'll end up falling asleep on her own. Sometimes she dont, but she will be rested and not cranky. :)
    ProudOhioMom

Answer by ProudOhioMom at 8:49 AM on Jul. 17, 2008