help with a one year old schnauzer

so Chloe my schnauzer chews on everything she's not supposed to, mainly her big sisters (abigail my oldest) toys here recently the barbies. I have tried almost everythng i can think of and we can't afford to send her to a trainer. Any suggestions?

HisServant4ever

Asked by HisServant4ever at 3:27 PM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Pets

• I have two (brothers) Schnauzers. They are 7 years old. I never had an issue with chewing. But I would recommend making sure she has toys of her own to chew on and always correct her when she eats barbies head off....that's rude. LOL I know you're probably going crazy but I really do love this breed of dog, they have great personalities! I wish you the best!!

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 3:55 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Thank you i love my little annoying dog. She is great with the girls, loves being around them but does get bored my oldest would rather have a cat but shes the one who wanted to dog lol
    HisServant4ever

Answer by HisServant4ever at 4:50 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Did you try spraying bitter apple? It's a spray you buy at any pet store or wal-mart/target that stops dogs from wanting to chew on stuff. It works for mine. Technically, your dog is still a pup. so this phase will pass. Make sure you yell at her every time you catch her chewing. We did that with mine and she's now 1.5 and over chewing on stuff.
    Anonymous

• Bitter apple or...and people hate this but it works...when u catch them put a "no chew muzzle" on. They can do everything but bite and chew and tho they will look at u like they are broken hearted they are fine. make sure to keep the chewable stuff up out of reach and keep a squirt bottle handy so if they go after anything besides their chew toys-squirt!make sure to praise them alot when they are chewing/bringing you the proper stuff.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 6:06 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Sounds like she is bored. Terrier's like activity. Walking is the number one way to relieve stress. I walk my dogs 3 x a day. It helps them vent the built up  stress ,if they are just laying around. Sounds like she could use a few balls thrown her way or frisbee's to chase. It' hard to tier them out but walking and activity helps. Attention for her is maybe what she wants. Walking and dog park playtime is a great day for them. Try some time for  jsut her and she will love it. Good luck with your pup.

doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 8:24 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I'm a vet tech, and have heard this before. She prob. needs more exercise. Take her for a couple of long walks a day if poss. Or if she could run in the open outside.Run the hell out of her, she won't have the energy to chew. Does she have her own toys for chewing.Also discipl. her when you catch her in the act.
    luvinher

Answer by luvinher at 11:54 PM on Jan. 2, 2009