How long should a child have a bottle?

We went to a family gathering yesterday and dh was in charge of fixing dd baby bag. She has been drinking out of sippy cups for the past month. We are on a trial and error basis right now. Some cups she will drink out of and some she will not. Dh fix her cups with the wrong sippy cups yesterday. So we were at dh's aunt for about a couple of hours when dd got cranky. Dh went and got her sippy and gave it to her. I realize then we were going to have a problem. Dd put it in her mouth and knew it was the wrong cup and threw a fit. All the women were together and they just sat there and looked. MIL asked what was wrong and I told he the wrong sippy cup. She said, "she drinking out of a cup already?" I told her yeah(we don't see her often). By this time dh is driving to the nearest store to get her a bottle. One of his cousin looked at me and said "she is too young for a cup. Why are you forcing her?' I explained nicely that we brought the wrong cup. This led the conversation to how old everyone child was before they got off the bottle. MIL and the cousin said 2 years old. That when their kids woke up in the middle of the night they would shove a bottle in their mouth to shut them up. I got so irritated that I went over and sat with the guys and watch the football game and until dh came back. When it was time to leave dh and I said our goodbyes. His cousin screamed out "make sure you give that baby a bottle!" My questions is when do you think it is to old for a child to have a bottle? I know there may be some circumstances where a child stay on the bottle . But the way these ladies were talking they were being down right lazy.
By the way dd will be 9 months Friday

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Sep. 25, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I took the bottle away on his first birthday.
    ZachsMom325

Answer by ZachsMom325 at 11:15 AM on Sep. 25, 2011

• Hey if she doens't need the bottle at 9 months, who cares what others say. I think that baby's should be on a cup from 12-18 months. But that's me.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:17 AM on Sep. 25, 2011

• I don't agree with what they said at all. Most pediatricians say soon after a year they should be off bottles completely, bottles after that can mess their mouths and teeth up. I still give DD 1 bottle at night before bed (she is almost 1 and we are trying to cut that bottle out too). She has been drinking from her sippy cups since 9 months and LOVES them (as long as she gets the right ones). Don't let them get to you, you know the only reason she was upset is bc your DH grabbed the wrong sippy.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 11:17 AM on Sep. 25, 2011

• This is a great question for your pediatrician.

Mine advised me at 12 months they should be off the bottle. I introduced the sippy at about 10 months. Then at 12 months I threw away all bottles and we only used sippy cups from then on.

Outlaws always want to add their opinion, just grin. =)
    txnmomof4

Answer by txnmomof4 at 11:17 AM on Sep. 25, 2011

• Ideally a child would come off the bottle by 1 year old. When they stop formula they stop the bottle. BUT...there are, of course, exceptions. My granddaughter is 13 months and she still takes a bottle, because, like your dd, she won't take a sippy cup, we are still in search of one she'll take. She only has the two bottom teeth so she can't eat too many table foods and I worry she won't get enough if we take the bottle at this time...but we are working on it. As long as your dd is getting enough I think it's fine to give her a cup at 9 months...but still put formula or breat milk in the sippy. Dont' let other people make you second guess yourself as a mom, you know your child better than anyone, I'm sure your in laws meant well, but how long has it been since they had a child, I am a grandma and I know things have changed alot since I had mine. I try to keep up on things because I have my grandkids alot.
    robyann

Answer by robyann at 11:19 AM on Sep. 25, 2011

• It is recommended to start introducing a cup around 6-7 months old and be completely off bottles by 12 months old. These ladies are stuck in the old ways. The reason to get them off bottles is because of their dental development. My children were breastfed (but youngest got pumped milk in a bottle) and started on cups at 6 months old. The youngest still got bottles and cups until she was about 9 months old and refused the bottle.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 11:20 AM on Sep. 25, 2011

• After a year, bottles and pacis should be given up. If she is taking a sippy at 9 months, hooray! So was mine. As long as she is drinking, they need to stay out of it.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:20 AM on Sep. 25, 2011

• We are still doing formula/breast milk. The cousin who said this just put studs in her 2 year old mouth(I think that bottles, juices, and sodas was the cause of this).
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:21 AM on Sep. 25, 2011

• i think any bottles during the day past 9-10 mo is too much, just my opinion.
    botth my boys were on sippy cups all day, with just a bed time bottle by 8 months, and bottles were 100% gone by 11 months
    2boysmommy.js

Answer by 2boysmommy.js at 11:23 AM on Sep. 25, 2011

• Ds was taking sippy cups by 7 months(just had to find the 'right' sippy).
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:23 AM on Sep. 25, 2011