How can I increase my breast milk supply?

I usually produce 32 ounces of breast milk a day, the way I know is because I pump it every day. Today, I only produced 8 ounces....why do you think this happened? and how can i increase my milk supply?

quims

Asked by quims at 3:33 PM on Jan. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• u need to pump more often, try every 3 hrs or so and you can buy a pill called alfelfa at walmart and they work really well.... also you can get this tea called mothers tea and that works really well too... if neither of those work together then you can go to ur doc and there is this med that he can proscribe for you...
    Anonymous

• If you have taken a break, your supply will go down. To make it go back up pump more often. The body works like supply and demand. When the demand for more milk is there, then your body will make more milk. Good luck!
    akl328

Answer by akl328 at 3:38 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Fenugreek works well also! I used it and it helped! It will make you sweat more, but you produce more milk AND you lose weight! Double bonus!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 3:40 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• My dr told me to drink a lot of WATER!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    aznblond9

Answer by aznblond9 at 3:45 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I've read about drinking 1 beer before pumping to help you relax. Eat oatmeal, stay hydrated. Pump more often. Try not to stress-it can make it difficult to pump effectively. You're surely producing more than 32ounces a day, it's just your pumping output that has decreased. A pump is not an indicator of supply.
    Anonymous

• Do you exclusively pump? If so, that could be the problem. If you breastfeed then you should breastfeed adn then pump after every feeding to try to increase the supply. Try pumping every 3 hours. Make sure you're drinking lots of water. if you're under stress that can decrease your supply as well. I had a hard time with my supply and took fenugreek and drank mother's milk tea. I pumped after every feeding and increased the feedings. When that did not work my doctor wrote me a script for regalin (sp.)
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 4:14 PM on Jan. 2, 2009