?? Might sound dumb, but I don't know!

Doing regular rutine of workout would harm the baby? Like sit-ups, running, streching?? etc...
I had started to do sit-ups before I knew I was pregnant, but is that bad for the baby?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:34 PM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• NO!!!!!!!!!!!

Your baby *might* be the size of a grain of rice right now. When you get a bit further along, it is recommended to not do sit ups, but you can do standing side crunches.

Also, running and cardio are an excellent thing to keep up while pregnant :)
    dakotaNrye

Answer by dakotaNrye at 3:38 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Exercise is great when you are pregnant because when it comes time for labor...it really is labor. You will need endurance and strength. However, many drs say not to make yourself uncomfortable. Listen to your body! I have also heard many people say that you should not begin a new type of hard work out once you are preggo. Just be careful.
    zackkatiejames

Answer by zackkatiejames at 3:42 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• sit ups are a no no.
    Anonymous

• walking and running are ok...i am not sure about the sit ups...but i was always told that you can do the kind of work outs you done before your pregnancy and just to listen to your body..if you are tired then take a break and rest...though heavy lifting is a no-no
    8firsttimemom8

Answer by 8firsttimemom8 at 4:10 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I was told to do whatever I liked. I did headstands until the baby pressed so hard on my diaphragm that I couldn't breathe upside down. Something to watch out for is to keep from getting too hot. That includes hot tub use or bath tub, etc.

Answer by Bmat at 4:33 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• No, you're fine. Working out while pregnant is great, as long as your doctor doesn't tell you not to. I'd skip the sit-ups, but walking (even running, if it was something you've already been doing for awhile) and other light fitness training is fine. This isn't really the time to take on any new strenuous activity, but there are a lot of good pregnancy fitness regimens out there. I ended up having to take it easy with my pregnancy, so I didn't work out at ALL...but until then, I was a big fan of yoga! You can make it as hard or as easy as you want!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 4:50 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I wouldn't do sit-ups, but I'm sure everything is fine even if you did them before you found out. There are TONS of women out there that did a lot worse before finding out they were pregnant :) Don't beat yourself up about it!

As for exercise, I would say you could do a lot. Walking, running, eliptical machine, light weight training ...
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 5:24 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Doctors usually say that if you have exercised before you were pregnant, then you can continue. Just dont start any new routine.
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 5:44 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• As long as you're not getting light headed or anything, you're fine. Just try to stay off your back once you get to your second trimester, and listen to your body. I was still riding my bike up until about 34 weeks! I went walking even after my water broke! You can certainly exercise! I managed to keep my weight gain down to 12 lbs (good thing, cuz I wasn't skinny to begin with).
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 5:30 AM on Jan. 3, 2009