9yo and sex...

When did your daughter learn about sex? My 9yo doesn't ever say anything about it, and I have never said anything to her..But she is starting to drop hints..like she went into our bedroom (after we had had sex) and asked what had happened to the sheets and what had we been doing? I feel dumb always saying "Nothing" or lieing to her..Any suggestions?

sydsmom2

Asked by sydsmom2 at 3:43 PM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• lying isnt bad when it comes to that type of thing if u think shes not ready... but since she is hinting it might b time. i plan to tell my daughter about sex when she gets her period. i learned when i was about 5 lol i know thats young but i have 5 bros n sisters 2 of which were having sex n didnt hide it a bit.. sometimes learning early isnt good i was 13 when i had sex BC i knew so much by then i figured y not..
    Anonymous

• She's 9 and if you think she is inquiring about it , maybe it is the time to sit down with her and have the chat about the birds and the bees. It can't hurt.
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 3:44 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• 9 is the new 13 these days, time for the talk
    smnice

Answer by smnice at 3:47 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• i learned way before from some stupid neighborhood boys i think i was like 7
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 3:47 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• My son is 8 and learned what the word sex was from a friend. I asked him what it meant and he told me it is a mommy and daddy kissing each other naked. I told him he was on the right track but from now on he needs to talk to me when he has a question not talk with his friends.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 6:01 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• My son was 10 when we talked to him about sex. I think you need to see what she knows and what she does not know. More then likely the kids at school are talking and she is now curious. I know that now that my son knows he is always very careful about coming into our bedroom, especial in the morning.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 6:12 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I think nine or ten is an ok age, depending upon maturity level and their inquisitiveness.

joy2bamom

Answer by joy2bamom at 6:14 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• If she is asking you then she already knows something about sex. She is asking you, as a way to verify what she knows. At this age she has probably already seen or heard things around her friends at school. You know how kids talk. Anyways, you need to tell her in age appropriate ways about sex. Tell her Why people have sex, tell her a little bit about how (but not too graphic) and let her know it's OK to talk to you is she has any questions. It's better she gets the correct things from you then the wrong stuff from friends or TV. A good way to start is to ask HER what she knows about sex. See how much she knows, before you start, that way you can correct anything if she has the wrong idea. Here's an article if you need anymore help! http://www.talkingwithkids.org/sex.html

MomOfJandM

Answer by MomOfJandM at 9:10 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• My 7 year old knocked my socks off the other day. ..I said something about biting her, (we were pretending to be dogs) and licking her and she said people dont lick people...UNLESS THEYRE HAVING SEX!!! I was dumbfounded! I said where did you get that from??? she was so embarrassed and didnt wanna talk but I made her (told her she was not in trouble, she was about to cry!) and she told me she saw it on tv.....and told me everything about that day that she saw it months earlier (it mustve made an impression on her!) apparently it was on a soap opera! LOL

So I asked her if she had any questions about it, she said no and I told her thats not something to talk about with other kids...but if she wanted to talk about it she could come and talk to me, her dad, aunt or mom-mom....I had no idea what to say to her
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:32 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I had to explain enough of it to my 10 year old when she was 9. I didn't go into graphic detail with charts, just the bare basics. I don't want her to learn the wrong information from other kids. If she's inquiring, it's time to talk.
    Ms.Melanie

Answer by Ms.Melanie at 2:21 PM on Jan. 3, 2009