Any adivse on coming home from the hospital with a new baby breastfeeding and guests?

Is this going to be hard to juggle - Sleeping - Breastfeeding - and people wanting to see the baby?

AuntB23

Asked by AuntB23 at 4:00 PM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Concentrate on what YOU and the BABY need to do. If the guests don't like it, then.....well, tough for them.

Sorry, but this is a personal time for you. It's about you and about the baby and the bond you're creating. And not to be rude to your guests, but simply tell them you and the baby are going to rest if you need to....they should understand.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:02 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• not really...people called me before they came over to make sure i am ok to see people..and they all new i was breast feeding and that if he gets hungry i would be popping out a boob, which i did..lol.
    8firsttimemom8

Answer by 8firsttimemom8 at 4:02 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• sleeping yes a little bc u still have to wake up to feed, when people come over they and u know the baby sill has to eat. i feed in front of anyone lol my kid needs to eat and im not goin in the other room in my house. u can get a breastfeeding tank top wear it under ur shirt and when the baby is hungry u dont have to pull ur shirt up and show people. u can put a blanket over ur breast and the baby if u need. or u can choose to go into the other room
    Anonymous

• I got some nursing gowns and blankets which I used anyway whether there were guests or not. I breastfed my child in my home and if people were uncomfortable they could leave. If I was I could go into another room, or ask them to leave.
    Anonymous

• My baby is 7 days old and I had close family and friends over for new year and it wasn't so bad at all. I got good sleep during the day and thruout the whole day I would just feed my baby and my mom and my hubby's mom did the rest (changed and burped him and stuff)
    I would sugest not to let people in babies room, give them a smeak peek at the baby or sugest to wear a medicine mask. its a winted lots of viruses out there, better be safe then sorry
    Albi1623

Answer by Albi1623 at 4:40 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• u get more sleep if baby sleeps with u. and if u get overwhelmed with people around u have a chance to get away and feed ur baby,ur baby will get hungry right as ur about to eat ur food,so get used to eating cold food,lol
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 5:12 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• My husband and I had a "no visitors" policy for 7 days after we went home. We felt like we just wanted to get use to our new life before we started incorporating everyone else into it. We did make a few exceptions, my sister came over to do our laundry for me, I had a c-section and couldn't lug it from our apartment to the laundry, and a few friends brought dinners for us, but only stayed a few minutes.
    Anonymous

• I had so much company when I came home with my little one. I was concerned about breastfeeding with so many people around. Once I came home, I found feeding the baby, which was quite often - about once an hour, was a welcome break for me. It gave me time to spend time with my little one. Sometimes I excused myself when I didn't need to feed her at all, just because I needed some time to myself. I also had a nursing cover, so when we went out of the house, I could discreetly feed. Do not feel guilty for excusing yourself with the baby, OR telling whoever is holding your little one that it is time for him/her to eat. Best of luck and let me know if I can be of anymore help!
    MommyJanelle

Answer by MommyJanelle at 11:06 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Well I never gave it much thought ahead of time, it all came very naturally for me. I understand i'm very lucky and that DOESNT happen for everyone. But I just fed my baby when she was hungry, regardless of who was there or not, and I really didnt give a damn what anyone thought. If your visitors are bothered, politely tell them ahead of time that your going to feed your baby and they can leave if they wish.

Best of luck and congratulations on the upcoming baby!
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 12:44 AM on Jan. 3, 2009