Immunization research

I posted this in another topic and got 1 answer! I am currently going through immunization research and making the tough decision to continue to vax or not. So far my son has had 2. The HIB vaccination HibTiter was discontinued April 13th 2007...but what I can't find is the reason why. Does anyone know why? Currently there are two other manufactures and one specifically that I wanted to give because it was the safest of all evils. Long story short he got the discontinued one and I'm not happy about it. I had assumed it was off the market since it was discontinued but apparently its still being used. Someone help!

britni11

Asked by britni11 at 4:02 PM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• they typically discontinue a vax when a better one has been developed, often to be more effective or ingredients that don't cause as many adverse reactions in kids with certain allergies like eggs and the flu shot.....and many doctors will essentially use up their supply....hope this helps...maybe you can contact the manufacturer and ask why...we vaxd our dd but i am glad you are trying to make a well researched decision!!!
    KEHMom

Answer by KEHMom at 4:06 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• You could probably join a group here on the Cafe that is specifically about holding off on immunizations. Go to the "Groups" tab, then click, "Find Groups" and type in Immunizations.

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 4:04 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• They discontinue shots all the time because they usually come up with better ones. I vaccinate my kids primarily because I figure that the diseases they prevent against need to be prevented and I also had a friend whose child died after getting whooping cough. She really felt guilty because a simple shot would have prevented the death of her child. To me, I would rather have them be safe then die later and not be able to look myself in the mirror because I was worried about shots made to protect my child. And yeah bash away, until you meet or know someone whose child died from a preventable disease you cannot understand.

Answer by gemgem at 4:05 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• It is b/c they came out with a new and improved version...it's not because there was anything harmful associated with it. Good job on doing research.
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 4:08 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• everyone said what i was going to its usually discontinued because they found a new and improved version just as with our shots.
    HisServant4ever

Answer by HisServant4ever at 4:11 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I do not vaccinate so I don't have all the info on why they would discontinue them. BUT if you go to either of these groups I'm sure someone there can help you...

http://www.cafemom.com/group/vaxeducate

http://www.cafemom.com/group/educatedparents

I am a member of both and there is some GREAT info there!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:12 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Honestly CM is not the best place to get your info. I've come across some very biased and inaccurateinfo in this site. Double check everything you find. Sources that offer pros and cons of vaccination are the ones with the most complete information. Any source that only tells one side of the story isn't giving the full picture.
    Anonymous

• I agree with anonymous. Though you occasionally can get some great advice on here, it'd rather make choices regarding my baby's health from an unbiased source...and you never know what kind of kooks are really on the other side of the keyboard, you know? While I think the answers to this question are relatively harmless, there are some out there that are downright scary! Good luck!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 5:08 PM on Jan. 2, 2009