did anyone ever get their membranes stripped? what happened when u did??

MrsFrazier21

Asked by MrsFrazier21 at 4:09 PM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Stripping the membranes and breaking the bag of waters isn't the same thing. When you are stripped it separates the sac from the cervix. It is supposed to bring on contractions, but it could lead to infection. I had my membranes stripped with one of my pregnancies, although I went into labor fairly quickly after it was done...I still needed to have a c-section due to his ginormous head. :) Wish you the best!!
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 4:25 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• After the doctors broke my water my contractions picked up big time. I never found it uncomfortable that they broke it for me but it does help the contractions to pick up.
    momofangels5

Answer by momofangels5 at 4:14 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Having the water broken doesn't hurt at all. I just feel like a rush of water all of a sudden. It's a strange sensation, but not painful. As the PP said, contractions started full force after that.
    MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 4:22 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Yes, stripping membranes and breaking of the water are totally different things.

I had my membranes stripped around 39 weeks because my body was trying to go into labor, but would just stop for no reason (not braxton hicks). Honestly, I would never get them stripped again. It was sooooo painful, I felt like passing out afterwards. Anyhow, I started to go into labor, and lost my mucus plus (very common after getting membranes stripped) that night, but then labor stopped again. The following week, when I was full term, she asked if I wanted them stripped again - no way. So I made an appointment to get induced.

Good luck!
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 4:52 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• They stripped my membranes at 38 weeks (I think, maybe it was 39. So much has happened since then, lmao).

But yeah, it didn't do jack for me. I was induced at 40 weeks and six days =]
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 5:21 PM on Jan. 2, 2009