A tutor for kindergarten?

I know of someone who is hiring a tutor for her 5 year old son who has been in kindergarten for um, 3 weeks. When she was asked why and if he was having some sort of difficulty, she said no problems but because they (mom and dad) want him to get into a good college. So no, the kid is not having any problems so far.
Pressure? NO. Not much. lmao. I could see getting a kid help of course if they need it or are having problems. But kindergarten to me is more about learning to get into the hang of school, following a schedule, learning the very basics, etc. Not about setting the scene for college. I don't know of anyone who needed a tutor at age 5, nor any parent who thought that by getting tutored in KINDERGARTEN that that would for sure land them at say Harvard .... 12 years from now.
Tutor for a 5 yr old who has been in school for less than a month and is not showing any difficulties?
To each his own and if that's what the parents want then so be it, who am I to judge? And I'm not. I'm just curious how others feel. Seems like they are setting this kid up to face a LOT of pressure (from them).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:50 PM on Sep. 25, 2011 in

• unless you are expecting your child to enter college at 9 years old there is no reason to tutor so soon. I am not one to judge because my daughter has had tutors since she was six. that is only because she needed help and the school wasnt helping her at the time. school should be fun and exciting especialy during the early years in order to prepare them for the years to come. little ones dont need so much extra pressure. we as parents need to encourage a healthy desire to learn and not make education seem like an awful chore.
    lanette1965

Answer by lanette1965 at 12:39 PM on Sep. 29, 2011

• I'll judge for you. They are insane. You are right about what kindergarten does for the kids. I think that making their son work with a tutor now will actually make him NOT like school. If he's really smart, but hates school, he won't do well, just because he hates school. They are putting too much pressure on him, and I have never heard of a college going THAT far back for info. They look at high school, not elementary.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 5:53 PM on Sep. 25, 2011

• Thats stupid and a waste of money.
    Cara5

Answer by Cara5 at 5:52 PM on Sep. 25, 2011

• That's ridiculous. Seems like the parents could use a parenting tutor.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 5:54 PM on Sep. 25, 2011

• Okay yes I feel the exact same way! I try so hard to not concern myself about how others live their lives, but that's just ridiculous. I just re-read the post, and she also says that her and her dh are from *well schooled households* and plan to contiue that. WTF. How about letting a kid be a kid? Jeeeeeeez. I feel sorry for the poor little dude.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:57 PM on Sep. 25, 2011

• I worked as a tutor for K-12 for a few years. There was a 5 year old whose mother was concerned she wasn't "the best" in her class. The company paid me $30 an hour for 3 kids at a time. I have no idea how much she was paying. I thought it was ridiculous. Beyond the pressure, shouldn't the parent be able to help the child with anything academic in kindergarten?
    Verrine

Answer by Verrine at 6:13 PM on Sep. 25, 2011

• Also, she said that she has told him that school is his JOB and that he has other ways to have fun, and he takes a dance class for fun. So he is not to consider school to be fun. Wow, double wow. 5 years old and parents concerned about getting into a good college, and school is not a place to have fun. I don't know about anyone else, but that right there would sure as hell make me rebel.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:15 PM on Sep. 25, 2011

• Agree Verrine. I wondered that also, especially since she said herself that her and dh are well schooled individuals. They can't help a kid in K? Crazy.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:17 PM on Sep. 25, 2011

• I think Lonestar/Billy Dean say it best: Let Them Be Little

I can remember when you fit in the palm of my hand
    Felt so good in it, no bigger than a minute
    How it amazes me, you're changing with every blink
    Faster than a flower blooms they grow up all too soon

So let them be little 'cause they're only that way for a while
    Give them hope, give them praise, give them love every day
    Let them cry, let them giggle, let them sleep in the middle
    Oh just let them be little

I've never felt so much in one little tender touch
    I live for those kisses, prayers and your wishes
    Now that you're teaching me things only a child can see
    Every night while we're on our knees all I ask is please

Let them be little 'cause they're only that way for a while
    Oh just let the
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 6:37 PM on Sep. 25, 2011

• CONT

So innocent, a precious soul, you turn around
    It's time to let them go

Oh just let them be little

Let them be little
    Rosehawk