8 weeks old

My baby is 8 weeks old on Tuesday. He sleeps at night pretty good, only waking up once from 11-8 . During the day he will sleep when I am holding him but i cant seem to get him to nap. He will sleep in his swing for like 20 minutes and wake up. I have tried putting him in his crib and darkening the room. Swaddling him. It seems like his naps will last about twenty minutes and then he will wake up. If i dont hold him or carry him in a sling he does not sleep good and its a disaster later on. I love holding him but i feel like i am just sitting around all day and he is a big boy so my neck hurts by the end of every day. It seems like all the grandmas have an opinion of letting him cry it out but I feel like he is still too young. I have let him cry a few times but no longer than 5 minutes. Any ideas?

Mgirly84

Asked by Mgirly84 at 4:45 PM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 8 weeks is TOO young to cry it out (and i'm not anti-CIO). night sleep and day sleep are two different skills. just keep trying mama... he'll get it eventually. try to make it the same everyday (same naptime, same place, same "go to sleep" routine)
    abelsmama07

Answer by abelsmama07 at 4:47 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I'd say your no longer than five minute rule is a good one. My son fusses a lot when it's naptime; it's like he needs to wiggle himself into that just-right position...and burn off a little energy beforehand. He was doing this from one month on.

Every baby is different, though, and some aren't ready to calm themselves for quite some time. You can continue trying to put him to bed when he drifts off in your arms, eventually it'll work (though it might take a LONG time). Otherwise, just try your best to enjoy this snuggle time, because pretty soon he's not going to be so cuddly.

Also keep in mind that babies change schedules a LOT, so he may decide to start taking two-hour naps tomorrow, you know? Things will get easier. :)
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 4:55 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• He's definitely too young to CIO. What nap schedule are you using? Is he really going to bed at 11 o'clock at night? The problem could be that he's overtired. It's counterintuitive, but the more tired babies are the worse they sleep. Try moving bedtime earlier. At that age, babies should only be awake for about 2 hours at a time during the day, so if he's waking up at 8 he should have a nap at 10 and so on according to how long he naps for. Check out the book Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child (with which I have a love/hate relationship) for a good description of sleep patterns in infants and how much sleep they need.

You could try using an Amby bed, maybe, if he likes the feeling of being carried and swaddled.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 7:10 PM on Jan. 2, 2009